380 mhz DOD Astro systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
I was trying to gather some information on the Naval Support and Carlisle Barracks Astro systems in Mechanicsburg. I found three control channels but was unable to get Unitrunker to decode any of them. I tested the operation of my setup by decoding the Carlisle Borough and Lower Allen Type II systems. I tried inversion both ways but didn't have any luck. I will try to post wav recordings of the control channel for everyone to listen to. Thanks for any help in advance.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Matt;

Some radios change polarity when switched from one band to another (like moving from 800 Mhz to 380 Mhz) - obviously you've covered that.

Get a software oscilloscope program - there are literally a dozen or so available. Use the program to get a picture of your signal as the computer sees it. If you're not sure what a good P25 signal looks like, post a picture here.

If the signal is straight from the radio's discriminator tap, consider building or buying a small buffer amplifier. One of those microphone pre-amp kits will work.

-rick

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Is it possible that the sigs you got are 9600 baud encrypted CCs? That is supposedly the standard these new systems are supposed to be using - I doubt UniTrunker - or any other software - could handle that. Not all of them are, tho - one up here near Ft.Meade is not encrypted, but the one at NSA is.

The other obvious question - you can't feed the signal from your speaker output to the soundcard. A discriminator tap is required. 73s Mike

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
To answer your questions the control channel does not appear to be encrypted. I entered one of the control channels along with a nominal base and spacing frequency and some of the P25 voice channels into my 996T which seems to partially track it. I am using a tapped 796D and a pro-2055 for Unitrunker. The next time I get a chance to capture a waveform I will post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.