380MHz Trunked Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Started this as a general thread for these systems.

Found these today while off of Syclin Rd. in Leesburg in the parking lot of the National Guard building across from the airport and beside the VSP barracks.

388.7375MHz - Kitsap County
380.1250MHz - 000Dh-0101
381.2750MHz - 0001h-0101

Forgive me if they are already known and logged. Did not have time to really get the WACN and I didn't really pay attention to the signal strength either.

EDIT: Just looked at freqhopping's Excel spreadsheet, (located here: http://home.earthlink.net/~freqhopping/scanner.html ) and all are logged in it.

Last edited:
A

ACU1000

mike_s104 said:
Does anyone think the "Kitsap County" is for the county of that name in Washington State?
Thats the only one I've heard of.

BTW, what is the "WACN" and how do you "get" it?

A

ACU1000

Thanks - I will start playing around with these systems. I am now curious what I can hear from home too.

Like freqhopping said - its mostly encrypted -- or are you hearing interesting voice comms too?

A

ACU1000

So I have been studying the excel sheet on freghoppings site... TG 201 appears to be FPS. Do I need to listen to all the systems that TG201 has been heard on to hear everything of theirs or do I only need the closest site to me? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Still new to the 380 systems.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
lemish said:
So I have been studying the excel sheet on freghoppings site... TG 201 appears to be FPS. Do I need to listen to all the systems that TG201 has been heard on to hear everything of theirs or do I only need the closest site to me? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Still new to the 380 systems.

if you're only in one location, put in only the ones you're able to receive.

A

ACU1000

lemish said:

mike_s104 said:
if you're only in one location, put in only the ones you're able to receive.

a) Good idea - probably what I will do, However, that didn't answer my question? I am asking the question to learn something about how these work - not necessarily just what I might be able to hear. Can someone address the whole question?

b) Now onto the part about what ones I can hear... from my Lowes Island area using the 396T and the RS duck antenna: 00D-0101 and 008-0101 is all I can scan - with 0 bars signal strength(1 bar on my external antenna.) Frankly, as I was told, not worth scanning - all I hear is really FPS squak once in a while encrypted. Should also note that I did see ID 258 come up several times ENC on the 008-0101 system this morning

Thanks for all the help Mike_s104 and Freqhopping. I assume you guys like to listen incase you ID a new TG or hear something in the clear by chance. I may get more into this when I have more time, etc.

Last edited:

freqhopping

lemish said:
a) Good idea - probably what I will do, However, that didn't answer my question? I am asking the question to learn something about how these work - not necessarily just what I might be able to hear. Can someone address the whole question?

b) Now onto the part about what ones I can hear... from my Lowes Island area using the 396T and the RS duck antenna: 00D-0101 and 008-0101 is all I can scan - with 0 bars signal strength(1 bar on my external antenna.) Frankly, as I was told, not worth scanning - all I hear is really FPS squak once in a while encrypted. Should also note that I did see ID 258 come up several times ENC on the 008-0101 system this morning

Thanks for all the help Mike_s104 and Freqhopping. I assume you guys like to listen incase you ID a new TG or hear something in the clear by chance. I may get more into this when I have more time, etc.
There is nothing special about how they work at least as far as scanning is concerned. Just normal multi-site P25 TRSs like STARS. I don't know anything about the IP infrastructure of the system of the JNCR system.

I figured you should be able to receive 008-0101 and 00D-0101. Add an amp to your setup (this one would work well http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2455311&cp=&pg=2&sr=1&origkw=amplifier&kw=amplifier&parentPage=search) and you will be able to receive a lot more, and I don't just mean these systems. Mine is 20db gain, one output. With an amp you should get 001-0101 Ft Belvoir and 14C-0101, maybe Ft Detrick 006-0101.

The Marine Corps site 14C-0401 is most active when The Basic School goes out to the field.

I really wish I had another 396 that I could leave at home to log and record 24/7. I'll probably wait for the next Uniden release to see what they come up with before getting another scanner. From time to time an encrypted TG will be in the clear and that provides a good opportunity to ID it. There usually isn't much activity past normal govt hours, except for the local PD patches.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
freqhopping said:
I really wish I had another 396 that I could leave at home to log and record 24/7. I'll probably wait for the next Uniden release to see what they come up with before getting another scanner. From time to time an encrypted TG will be in the clear and that provides a good opportunity to ID it. There usually isn't much activity past normal govt hours, except for the local PD patches.

I did at one point have my 996T logging and recording all day long on these but now that I can't get any (not sure what happened...one day the signals dropped and I changed nothing here) I don't even try.

the attached is an antenna that I made just for the 380MHz band. it does actually work well, just not the prettiest.

and no, I cannot stand Folger's coffee. I guess I'm a coffee snob. :)

Last edited:
A

ACU1000

freqhopping said:
Add an amp to your setup (this one would work well http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2455311&cp=&pg=2&sr=1&origkw=amplifier&kw=amplifier&parentPage=search) and you will be able to receive a lot more, and I don't just mean these systems. Mine is 20db gain, one output. With an amp you should get 001-0101 Ft Belvoir and 14C-0101, maybe Ft Detrick 006-0101.

What about the GRE Super Amp that is BNC inline? I have one, I tired to use to get Alexandria and others but it didnt help. I hadn't tried it on the 380 stuff - do you think it will do any good?

freqhopping

lemish said:
What about the GRE Super Amp that is BNC inline? I have one, I tired to use to get Alexandria and others but it didnt help. I hadn't tried it on the 380 stuff - do you think it will do any good?

I have one of those too. Not nearly as good, but it is definately useful when mobile. Even with the RS amp I highly doubt you would be able to receive Alexandria unless there were some atmospheric conditions helping out.

freqhopping

mike_s104 said:
just tried my homebrew antenna again and I'm getting site 0005-0101 pretty well, s2. TGs 508 and 654 and in-the-clear and pretty active. TG 201 is active as well.

Are you using an amp with it?

A

ACU1000

mike_s104 said:
just tried my homebrew antenna again and I'm getting site 0005-0101 pretty well, s2. TGs 508 and 654 and in-the-clear and pretty active. TG 201 is active as well.

I just loaded that one and cant get any reception at all even with outdoor antenna. With the amp I can get a signal but nothing on the S meter. 00D-0101 goes to S5 with the amp!

Last edited:

freqhopping

lemish said:
I just loaded that one and cant get any reception at all even with outdoor antenna. With the amp I can get a signal but nothing on the S meter. 00D-0101 goes to S5 with the amp!
And you won't except in rare cases. In the summer with the right ducting it's possible.
Daily I run through my 380-390 search to see what the current control channels are and to see if there is anything new and get an idea of local propagation based on signal strengths of those channels. If can receive distant sites then I like to do the public safety search to find something I've never received before.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
lemish said:

freqhopping said:
And you won't except in rare cases. In the summer with the right ducting it's possible.
Daily I run through my 380-390 search to see what the current control channels are and to see if there is anything new and get an idea of local propagation based on signal strengths of those channels. If can receive distant sites then I like to do the public safety search to find something I've never received before.

have you ever driven up that direction to see what you can receive there? I think you can get that one on Mt. Weather.

freqhopping, in your Excel file, you have TG 654 listed as a patch for Frederick Co. SO; this is Frederick, MD, correct?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.