3839 kHz...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacscan

I'm testing my new Grundig G5 right now, and I'm hearing some interesting ham conversations on 3839 kHz, including occasional cussing and jamming.

Years ago I heard about a frequency in the 80 meter ham band that had a lot of CB-like hash and trash. I think it was 3894 kHz, but I'm not positive.

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
Probably 3840...I just tuned and heard some cussing, so this must be it.
There are some nuts on that freq. Used to listen to Art Bell and they always had problems with idiots jamming him.

Last edited:

sacscan

brandon said:
Probably 3840...I just tuned and heard some cussing, so this must be it.
There are some nuts on that freq. Used to listen to Art Bell and they always had problems with idiots jamming him.
You're right. I googled 3840 and found some interesting websites about that frequency (LOL!).

For some reason these guys who are talking now sound better on 3839. The G5 doesn't have selectable LSB and USB, only an SSB button and a fine tuning knob, so maybe that's why it sounds better 1 kHz down.

K3GI

There are a few different "cliques" that hang around on the 75 meter band, and their on-air behavior is notorius. Over the years some have disappeared and others have taken their place. The frequencies used have changed over time as well. Try listening to 3.905 LSB in the evening.

Lee, K3GI

Last edited:

N2YQQ

I'm not sure about now but 10 or so years ago 2898 KHz used to be a wild frequency.

N4UYV_Al

The worst I've heard was on 3910...And yes, although 80 meters is an excellent band at night, I don't use it due to all the "This is our frequency & has been for 20 years!" idiots..
Unfortunately, people listening in who might think about a hobby in ham radio hear these 'hams' swearing,name-calling,and arguing, end up with a bad taste in their mouth..
I'm hoping these 'frequency-owners' don't recruit any new hams on their 'nets' & they just die off so most of that band can return to real hams..

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Al and readers,

Speaking of 3910, do you know that famous "Pork Butt Al"? (;->) The upper portion of 75M is notorious but then there's this bunch of weirdos on 3860 who talk like they're on the telephone if you know what I mean.

Then again when it comes to weirdos and total hilarity 3885 AM was the place to be. GOOD MORNING VIETNAM! Rockin' from Rockport to Annapolis Los Americanos Locos are at it again and a great big YEALO to ya! WA1H, YELL R and The Night Of The Slime-O-Tron went down in ham radio history on New Years Eve 1970-71 and the Piss And Moan Net was unforgettable. Ah the good old days when the AM window was shattered and listening to the radio version of the Twilight Zone had my whole family in stitches.

Now where did I come up with that Spanish phrase? Well, once in a while when the frequency was quiet I'd hear that remark coming from South America, those guys entertained the world.

k9rzz

... and these are the same guys who complain when we take over the band during a contest.

Sheesh!

:^]

John K9RZZ

gcgrotz

I sometimes listen to those long winded AM guys on 75. Who wants to listen to some guy mumble for 20 minutes non-stop trying to think of something to say?

I think it was 3868 too that was a wild freq. And I have tapes of some middle of the night madness on 3905 after the nets closed down. Man, we were crazy.

elk2370bruce

Well, we can agree that 75 meters is host to a number of LIDS and CB mentality. Have heard more than one of these wiseguys tell a long-established net to vacate what they claim to be "their frequency". Even saw it with a SATERN net passing health and welfare traffic. Some people don't deserve to maintain their licenses.

sacscan

elk2370bruce said:
Well, we can agree that 75 meters is host to a number of LIDS and CB mentality.
One of the first things I heard was someone with a loud, powerful signal key up on someone and tell them to "go back to 11 meters". Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

kd7rto

3840 rules

While 3840 may not be a model of part 97 adherence, it does make for some good entertainment when work is slow on the night shift. Count me as one ham who approves. As far as I'm concerned, only one operator on the frequency has been responsible for some stuff that has really been in bad taste.

You can usually catch the Bell bashing and other antics on at least one of the smeter.net receivers 12:30-2:30 AM Pacific time. There is also a number of recorded files at: http://wetnet.net/~n7uqa/audio_files/ and http://www.hamfanz.com

The Pahrump receiver at smeter.net is usually tuned to a rival, pro-Art Bell group, who left 3840, and now can be found on 3765.

Happy listening.

sacscan

n6orz said:
While 3840 may not be a model of part 97 adherence, it does make for some good entertainment when work is slow on the night shift. Count me as one ham who approves. As far as I'm concerned, only one operator on the frequency has been responsible for some stuff that has really been in bad taste.

You can usually catch the Bell bashing and other antics on at least one of the smeter.net receivers 12:30-2:30 AM Pacific time. There is also a number of recorded files at: http://wetnet.net/~n7uqa/audio_files/ and http://www.hamfanz.com

The Pahrump receiver at smeter.net is usually tuned to a rival, pro-Art Bell group, who left 3840, and now can be found on 3765.

Happy listening.
I admit I enjoyed what I heard too. I just was waiting for someone else to say it so I wouldn't be the only one bashed by the no sense of humor crowd.

I also enjoy www.hamsexy.com and listening to 11 meters, especially Channel 17 here in Sac. I've heard some stuff on there that has had me ROFLMFAO!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi again,

"and these are the same guys who complain when we take over the band during a contest."

Same guys or not the slopbucketeers should but do not respect the AM window, contests not withstanding. In fact the AMers aren't the only ones, contesters drive everybody else off the bands (except WARC where there are no contests) nearly every weekend. Do you realize there are great numbers of hams who HATE contests for that reason?

As for the entertainment, I'm not and I doubt the others condone cussing, racial remarks and other blatantly obnoxious behavior whether or not radio is involved. Some of the whackos crack me up while others sicken me and I immediately QSY when I hear that crap. 75M is a zoo (except for the CW segment) so when you go to the zoo you'll find animals of all kinds from playful otters to obnoxious monkeys, some even smell bad.

Funny how some use the term "2M CB" when 75M fone is more like CB than the channel 6 bowl. You find everything from soup to nuts, mostly nuts with a few soupy characters thrown in just for fun.

I'm with you Sacscan, Hamsexy is a HOOT! BTW, go to http://www.uglypeople.com/ if you want to see what those CBers look like. OK guys, before you flame me I was a CBer and I KNOW what they look like! (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.