385/386MHz Activity In NJ Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Tonight prior to AF1's departure from EWR, several 385/386MHz frequencies came to life that normally aren't active here. The ones I was able to write down in time were:

385.3125 NAC293. Discussions of POTUS Marine-1 movements. In the clear.
386.2250, 386.8000 NAC582 also active in the clear regards similar traffic.

Several control channels beyond the ones for Fort Hamilton, etc were active. Is it possible this is a mobile site or the like? Any insights?

Thanks all.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
386.225 and 386.800 are West Point MA voice channels, occasionally when conditions are good you will hear them quite far away. Are you sure they are POTUS traffic?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I feel the more the word "clear" is used on these forums, the more that clear will turn to enc.

Just my thoughts..

jaymatt1978

All trunked systems have a failsafe mode where they can be used as conventional frequencies if needede. it doesn't happen very often but it does happen

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
All trunked systems have a failsafe mode where they can be used as conventional frequencies if needede. it doesn't happen very often but it does happen

Well no, not all trunked systems have that feature (known in Motorola parlance as FAILSOFT), nor is there any guarantee that such a mode is setup properly (or at all) on any given trunked system.

I personally know of numerous trunked systems, Motorola or otherwise, that don't bother with such a thing. In particular with simulcast cells, because it becomes very complicated.

ecps92

Failsoft is when the [Failure of Software] Controller Fails and altho technically the Repeaters do become Conventional the [Analog] do not Transmit a PL or DPL and are CSQ and emit a constant carrier with a Beep, I have not experienced FS of a P25 system, but would venture that the NAC is not transmitted either and the Repeater is constantly transmitting with the periodic beep as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.