39.580 repeater ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
It may not even be in Kansas with all the skip coming in but I'm getting what sounds like a repeater or patched frequency into 39.580. It's all garbled and unintelligible but the signal is consistantly strong then there is a hang time and drop of a repeater.

I've never hear that frequency active in a repeated fashion. Who could it be?

mancow

Database Admin
Wait a minute...just thought of this. Could it be something to do with Wakarusa and those mutual aid repeaters? I wonder if they are patched together for interop purposes?

Just heard some traffic but couldn't make it all out. The lady almost sounded like DG CO dispatch. Some guy was talking about returning and taking a break.

compubandit

The only area that I know that might even still be on 39.58 is Anderson and Brown Counties. I worked in Anderson county and they still ran on it about ten years ago. I really don't know what they use now. I have never known those frequencies to be repeated though... Both Anderson and Brown could be heard for miles and miles. Susie worked at the PD and sounded really sexy on the radio. People would always ask what she looked like because she sounded really HOT when dispatching.

mancow

Database Admin
It is patched. I just confirmed that the Douglas Co. TRS Gcom-6 is patched to 39.580.

I heard the same audio back and forth simultaneously. The odd thing is that it's all broken up. So that would lead me to believe it's a different location that is picking up their conventional interop 800 traffic and rebroadcasting it on lowband. It must be one of those tower sites that was mentioned in another thread.

As for Anderson, I know what you mean about the one lady's voice.
They have abandonded 39.580 and are on 156.240 now. I kind of miss hearing them on lowband but they needed something better for a long time.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
The 39.580 patch actually makes sense- KDW&P mobiles are still operating low band in their trucks- especially those from the western areas of the state (they brought in folks from everywhere).

Good catch on this one Mancow! I didn't even think to check lowband.

Jammin_Jay

Skip from Kansas to Canada

Hey Kansas, just like u to know, that up here in Ontario, Canada, your fm stations have come in so strong on saturday evening, that for a few minutes they took over our area stations, Skip was strong and interesting. Heard call letters "kyys" . logged at 5:30 pm. Skip came in from 4:45 to 6:00 pm, very interesting.

Just wondering if ths skip works like a tunnel effect, and u would be able to pick up stations down there from Canada at the same time. Our call letters all start with "c" up here

such as ckkl

mancow

Database Admin
KYYS, yea that used to be the rock station KY-102 but they changed frequencies years ago to 99.7.

It's a Kanas City station.

I too noticed some strange stuff Saturday. I was putting a new floor in the utility room and 96.5 (alternative rock from Kansas City) disappeared and something else came on. It was impossible to lock onto a station at all. If I would have known it was that strong I would have paid more attention to what I was hearing.

n0lqt

DXing the FM Band

Jammin_Jay said:
Hey Kansas, just like u to know, that up here in Ontario, Canada, your fm stations have come in so strong on saturday evening, that for a few minutes they took over our area stations, Skip was strong and interesting. Heard call letters "kyys" . logged at 5:30 pm. Skip came in from 4:45 to 6:00 pm, very interesting.

Just wondering if ths skip works like a tunnel effect, and u would be able to pick up stations down there from Canada at the same time. Our call letters all start with "c" up here such as ckkl

Yes, it actually does work that way sometimes! In the FM band and above, the signal doesn't "skip" in the sense you would think about like with CB or Ham Radio. Those signals bounce off different layers of the ionesphere to travel long distances. (with as little as 25 watts while mobile on the 10 meter band, 28-30mhz, I've talked all over the world.)

The higher frequencies use what is called "tropospheric ducting." This is caused by a layer of cooler air trapped between two layers of warmer air (or sometimes visa-versa) Depending on the size of the "duct" and the length, I have heard ducting occur all the way up into the UHF bands and I understand it is possible to occur even at much higher frequencies.

Several of my friends and I used to have fun in the late evening or early morning in the spring and summer trying to see what different 2 meter repeaters we could hit. My personal best was a 2 meter repeater in Minneapolis MN from Wichita, KS, a distance of about 700 miles. I have even watched a TV station out of Longview Texas for almost an hour from North of Wichita, a distance of about 500 miles.

If you were hearing KYYS in Ontario, that is over 1000 miles. None to shabby. You should send them a "QSL" card. That is a post card that outlines the date, time, frequency, and location of the contact and see if they will send something back to you. Address it to the Chief Engineer. A lot of stations have nice little "QSL" cards to send back for long distance contacts like that. Here's their mailing address from their website.

KYYS Radio
Attn: Chief Engineer
4935 Belinder Road
Westwood, KS 66205

Status
Not open for further replies.