396/996 Firmware wish list - (Uniden take note?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashP

I'll second the comment about encrypted TGs (and conventional). Sometimes only one side of the conversation is encrypted, I'd like the radio to hold on the channel just in case. I suppose that could be a system-level option. Also, the XTs are horrible about logging these channels - I'd really like to have a record of what was active, regardless of whether it was understandable.

In regard to "more talkgroups", I'll bet that's a processor issue and not firmware (certainly not memory). For every talkgroup announcement on the control channel, the CPU has to check its list of programmed channels for a match and lockout status - it has about 10 ms to do that before the next one comes down the pipe, and it has a lot of overhead tasks like watching the keypad and doing GPS calculations. Personally, I'd love to have a huge number of talkgroup names stored for use in Search mode (the scanner has plenty of time to find the display name while holding on the channel), but that complexity would probably confuse too many people.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The limitation is due to the size of working memory (fast memory that system is loaded into while it is being actively monitored).

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Update wish for the 396XT & 996XT

I am in northern California. Our EMS haven’t used QCII in many years. Now, our local fire departments are 80% finished moving away from QCII. Both now employ a 6 or 9 tone rapid DTMF signal broken into 3 groups. (I don't know what the format is called). So the fire tone out function on the 396XT & 996XT is pretty much useless here. The update to be able to decode and use the new "ring downs" would be most excellent!!

I would also like to see the addition of the scanner's being able to scan for the 1khz (I'm pretty sure thats what it is) tone that San Mateo County agencies use for thier code 33 or "BOL" . That way in addition to setting priority channels, the radio can scan for this tone (or make it so the user can set the proper tone).

Well, thats it for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.