396 & Amplified External Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewey

Every once in a blue moon, I see comments here about getting louder external audio on the 396 T/XT by grounding the audio common to the antenna ground. While I have successfully done this on the GRE Pro series, I have always been very hesitant, hence never do this on the 396 for the following reason (actually I did try it once very quickly using a paperclip, but it only lowered the audio, not amplified it):

Top of page 6 of the BCD396T manual...

Warning.jpg

While I know this appears to be the standard "Lawyer Notice", it does include the warning that it may damage the scanner. I also know that there are some here who have reported to have operated the 396 with the mod without negative results.

My reason for asking at this time is because I would like to put this matter to rest in my mind. This site (RR) has included ads for the following speaker/mics (speaker only):

SpectrumForce Scanner Lapel Speaker BNC

&

SpectrumForce Scanner Lapel Speaker SMA

When you look at these speakers, the manufacturer reports getting the audio gain by performing the aforementioned shorting method. The manufacturer also reports that these speakers were made with the 396 in mind. What are the opinions of those here on these speakers with the ground mod? I could always buy one, and go in the speaker and cut the mod, but then I would risk low to inaudible audio on a product that I would not be able to return.

Thanks,
Dewey

ray smith

I did it.

I did it! Radio was toast after that!!!!!! Back to Uniden three times. Never did get it fixed!!!! Thew it out got a new one. Very costly exp!!!!!!!!!!!

911scanner

Wow! I think that's quite daring to do to a $500 radio. I myself just plug my 396T & 396XT into my Tivoli Audio on my desk and it sounds like I'm listening to a professional radio.

The audio on the HP-1 doesn't sound as good that way, so I don't bother.

Sorry to drift, just thought I'd mention how I hear it louder without potentially damaging my expensive equipment.

MM

slicerwizard

What are the opinions of those here on these speakers with the ground mod?
They're a great way to pull extra current through half of the audio amplifier's output stage. If Uniden didn't add current limiting resistors to the headphone jack circuit, you'd probably pop the amp.

I could always buy one, and go in the speaker and cut the mod, but then I would risk low to inaudible audio on a product that I would not be able to return.
Just make sure the audio return path goes through the headphone jack/plug sleeve connection and you won't have any low audio issues. Mind you, why reward this company's incompetence by giving them your money?

Dewey

Satisfied

Mind you, why reward this company's incompetence by giving them your money?

Thanks much Andy! You've explained that caution aginst the mod very effectively. I've had the RS Lapel Speaker for somewhere around 10 years, and still occassionally use it. What got me interested in the "lapel speakers" that I listed above was the fact that they take the antenna away from the body ***if*** they are worn on the shoulder. Clipping the lapel speakers to the portable's antenna (believe me, I've seen it!) defeats the whole purpose of the design. To sum it all up, I think the best advice is your closing statement.

Dewey

BTW... thank everyone else as well. Slicerwizard's detail is what put the matter to rest in my mind.

Last edited:

kb8rvp

For me using amplified computer speakers works great when I am sitting in a room with the scanner. When I am out walking around I use stereo headphones and the audio sounds great in "stereo" plus I only have to have the volume set at 3 or 4 so the batteries last longer... I have also used the RS amplified speaker in the car and that too works great.

Mike

scanningisfun

I did it! Radio was toast after that!!!!!! Back to Uniden three times. Never did get it fixed!!!! Thew it out got a new one. Very costly exp!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do not make a post with a thousand exclamation points. (22 exclamation points). It makes me not want to read the post. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.