396 firmware problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonies

Hi everyone,havent posted much lately but I recently purchased the 396t from the uniden website and its a great unit. Only thing which is sub-par is the digital portion. My 296d performed much better on these same systems which the 396t has trouble de-coding!! am i doing something wrong? I have read the manual,adjusted threshold settings, made sure the digital agc is on, and it just isnt stable on digital voice? Also, the connecticut state police is apco25 exclusive and I programmed it as a p25 sysyem. Now, the 396t wont even decode a talkgroup where the 296d at least decodes the most southern talkgroups where i am here in long island!! can anyone give me any ideas as to whats up??

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Or try adjusting you automatic digital threshold settings... No, no, It's got to be the firmware ;)

GTO_04

You need to program it as a Motorola Type II system. That is what it's listed as in the RR database. Apparently it is a type II system (not exclusive P25) and the State Police TGs all happen to be digital.

GTO_04

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
moonies said:
Hi everyone,havent posted much lately but I recently purchased the 396t from the uniden website and its a great unit. Only thing which is sub-par is the digital portion. My 296d performed much better on these same systems which the 396t has trouble de-coding!! am i doing something wrong? I have read the manual,adjusted threshold settings, made sure the digital agc is on, and it just isnt stable on digital voice? Also, the connecticut state police is apco25 exclusive and I programmed it as a p25 sysyem. Now, the 396t wont even decode a talkgroup where the 296d at least decodes the most southern talkgroups where i am here in long island!! can anyone give me any ideas as to whats up??

GTO_04 said:
You need to program it as a Motorola Type II system. That is what it's listed as in the RR database. Apparently it is a type II system (not exclusive P25) and the State Police TGs all happen to be digital.
GTO_04

Now if this is the statwide system tower on Long Island NY, wouldn't that be OpenSky?
If so, no scanner can decode it, so it would sound underwater.

Then I found this one: 500MHz P25 trunked not yet in service? http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=2354
The EDCAS system is analog: http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=728

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
MarkEagleUSA said:
I believe the discussion was about the Connecticut State Police which GTO_04 correctly noted is a Motorola Type II SmartZone and not a P25 system..

moonies Location: "seaford long island"
"Also, the connecticut state police is apco25 exclusive and I programmed it as a p25 sysyem."

"Now, the 396t wont even decode a talkgroup where the 296d at least decodes the most southern talkgroups where i am here in long island!!"

What system are you trying to monitor Moonies?

moonies

system monitoring with the 396t

the system is the connecticut state police and after re-programming the scanner it still doesnt decode voce that well. I am thinking it is the firmware since uniden sent me a "like-new" 396 with a firmware version of 11.09.00!!! or it may be a bum unit?? any feedback would be great!! Thanks to all on this forum as its good to have such caring well-informed people about scanning. I have also noticed poor p25 voice on the 2 yonkers ny pd channels as well and these are two conventional channels??

moonies

396 firmware problems-update

I want to thank all who replied to my question a few days ago about the p25 voice not sounding right on the 396. I had bad teeth pain when I wrote stating the firmware was 11.01.00 I added an extra 1 when typing. I took a trip today to my radio guy in newington ct, and updated the firmware and all is fine. Thanks again as I can always depend on my friends here at radio reference!!

scosgt

The receive on the 396 is NOT as sensitive as on the 296. No way can you get CSP from Seaford! I almost have to cross the line into CT to get much.

Yonkers is hard to get too. I am closer than you, and can get it on a 796D with roof antenna, the handhelds are very hit and miss, with the 296 much better than the 396.
The 396 needs to be somewhat close, probably it was dumbed down to stop all the intermod problems (and it does not get any intermod at all that I can find).

Status
Not open for further replies.