396 firmware update OK, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

First, thank you Uniden for keeping the 396 current with new firmware versions. With the latest V2 update my 396 doesn't have the machine gun noise problem anymore, which is good. But I notice a new symptom of digital decoding on a local 3600 baud SmartZone 800Mhz system that simulcasts from four towers. On occasion the digi transmissions are broken up, robotic sounding and I can't understand what's being said. This never happened before. When I check the error rate, this system now gets between 20% and 40% which is much higher than under the previous firmware. On other single-site/single tower 800Mhz systems (also 3600 baud) the error rate is mostly ZERO, or maybe 1% and theres not as much robotic breaking up of the voice signal. Why is this happening? Is the new adjustment in the hidden menu for p25 timing supposed to help this phenomenon?
As far as digital audio quality, that hasn't changed but I didn't find the digital sound that bad either. But then again, digital is digital and it won't sound anything like analog.
Is there anything that can be done to reduce or stop the new robotic breakup of voice signals, which I'll add don't happen often but enough to notice. And YES, I'm getting full strength on the signal levels with a dedicated 800Mhz antenna. Thanks!
BG

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Need to put up 1) what system 2) where you are and 3) might be better to add this to the performance thread that already exists.

randyK

Butch, do you remember what your P25 threshold settings were on your problem system before the upgrade? I am having similiar problems with one that that was set at 12 with the old firmware. Now I have error rates between 30 & 40 & it just isn't as clear as before.
Randy

ButchGone

Re:

I monitor the Chattanooga/Hamilton County TRS in Tennessee. Before the "update" my digi threshold settings worked well between 8 and 11. Yes there would be some machine gunning every now and then, but I'm thinking that was less painful than not hearing anything at all.
Again, has anyone seen this p25 timing adjustment make any difference on mixed-mode systems? What exactly does this adjustment do?
If this new problem persists, I may just flash my 396 back to the last 1.13.17 version and live with machine gun fire every now and then.
BG..

randyK

I think it just mutes the audio for the set time after stopping on a channel or talkgroup. I don't think you can revert back to version 1 firmware.
Randy

Last edited:

dlbeaver

Firmware Update

I agree, After I updated my BCD396T Scanner to V2 the audio and signal quality is much worse than when it was the original version! it would be sad if it is in fact true that we can't uninstall to a previous firmware version. That would really stink on Unidens part if indeed this is the case? whatever they fixed in the new Update obviously, was one of those "Rob Peter to Pay Paul" type senerio's!

William

dlbeaver

randyK said:
Butch, do you remember what your P25 threshold settings were on your problem system before the upgrade? I am having similiar problems with one that that was set at 12 with the old firmware. Now I have error rates between 30 & 40 & it just isn't as clear as before.
Randy

Randy, I am having pretty much the same problem with a very bad audio quality and the scanner is now pretty much useless to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.