396 programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregg22

hello
hope you dont mind a question.i bought my 396 when they first came out and programmed it with the supplied serial cable and software.i have since lost the cable and dont have a computer with a serial port any more.just a new laptop with vista.I need to change my programming since I have moved what do you think are my best options? thanks

Viper43

Buy a new new cable, they have a usb cable or you can get a new serial cable and usb adapter, whatever you want, just go to Unidens site and buy one or the other.

V

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Buy a new new cable, they have a usb cable or you can get a new serial cable and usb adapter, whatever you want, just go to Unidens site and buy one or the other.

V
Or, buy a USB-to-Serial adapter, like this one.There are others, some at a slightly cheaper price, on Ebay. This would allpw you to use your existing serial cable on any pc, regardless or whether or not the pc had a serial port. More discussion on the topic in this thread.

Also, while the Uniden USB-1 cable will let you program your Uniden scanners (besides the 396, the same cable would work for the 996, 246, BR330T, & BCT15), that's all it will do for ~$30.00. Buying a serial-to USB adapter, for $10-$12 (with shipping) gives you the serial port you need, plus lets you use that port not only for your 396, but also for older scanner's cables (like the BC296D or the BC780), or devices such as Ipods or other MP3 players, Blackberries, or other PDA's, some of which use serial ports.

n2mdk

Or, buy a USB-to-Serial adapter, like this one.There are others, some at a slightly cheaper price, on Ebay. This would allpw you to use your existing serial cable on any pc, regardless or whether or not the pc had a serial port. More discussion on the topic in this thread.

Also, while the Uniden USB-1 cable will let you program your Uniden scanners (besides the 396, the same cable would work for the 996, 246, BR330T, & BCT15), that's all it will do for ~$30.00. Buying a serial-to USB adapter, for $10-$12 (with shipping) gives you the serial port you need, plus lets you use that port not only for your 396, but also for older scanner's cables (like the BC296D or the BC780), or devices such as Ipods or other MP3 players, Blackberries, or other PDA's, some of which use serial ports.

The OP stated he lost the original cable that means he would need to buy the serial cable and the USB to serial adapter. the serial cable is $15 and the USB adapter is $12 there really isn't much of a saving. Of course if they need to have a serial port for other reasons then both cables make more sense.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Would that be the serial cable that the OP no longer has?
Sorry, overlooked that part. Was thinking "newer pc, no serial port on the new unit" instead of 'no longer had the cable'.

Options then would be to either buy the USB-1 cable, from Uniden, ScannerMaster, whoever, or get a new serial cable, which is cheaper, but also an adapter. The advantages of the adapter, in effect "adding a serial port ", would be a consideration, but cost wise, it's a wash, or even slightly higher, given shipping from two sources.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.