396 serious problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruarc

I have a 396, but don't use it much (saved for power outages mostly).

A friend has 2 which he uses a lot, and came to me about a problem with patched TGs.

San Diego Fire dispatch is obviously a critical talkgroup. They almost always have it patched and/or multiselected. The 396 SHOULD be able to track the primary TG, but it doesn't.

We checked it thoroughly yesterday. A Motorola MTX and a 996 were set on Dispatch, we heard all the calls. The 396s, all 3 of them, DID NOT get any dispatches on the primary TG (5008).

They DID get the dispatches on the patched/multi-select TGs (5011, and 5015).

The same thing was then confirmed on several PD TGs.

The status bit setting in the radio was 'ignore" at first, then we set them to 'yes', and there was no difference.

Firmware is latest (1.11.03)

Anyone else seeing this??

dangitdoug

I do not have a 396. Keeping that in mind, San Diego TRS is a splinter system. On my Pro95 there is an offset setting that has to be set for the scanner to monitor this system.

Here is the part from my manual dealing with this issue. The last paragraph is the instruction for changing the setting.

Press PGM then TRUNK to
enter the ID program mode.
2. Press FUNC then or to
select the desired bank.
3. Press MODE and select
Motorola trunking mode.
4. Press FUNC then 3. Use Up/
Down keys to set 800MHz base.
Normal appears.
5. Press or to select
Normal or Offset and press
ENTER.
• If you are uncertain about the
base frequency, use the
default setting. The default
setting is Normal.
• If you cannot receive with the
Normal setting, change to
Offset. The base frequency in
Normal is 851.0125 MHz. The
base frequency in Offset is
851.0000 MHz

Hope this helps
Doug K

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ruarc said:
Anyone else seeing this??
I have not (yet).

As you should know, "ignore" its the proper status bit setting for normal Type II systems.

You mention a 996, but were not clear, am I understanding that the 996 was working properly but the 396's did not?

The only thing I can think of is which side of the patch/multi-select it was set from. In other words, which TG was the "master" might have result you saw but then why did the 996 work?

ButchGone

Re:

I may have a solution, but it applies to my 296d and I can only assume it works for the 396.
When two or more talkgroups are patched, it may not be the "main channel" your scanner picks up, it may be another dispatch talkgroup or tac channel.
For example, in my area the sheriff's department dispatches for several small cities that have their own talkgroups. When the dispatcher multiselects two or more groups, sometimes I hear all agencies on the "sheriff west" TG, other times it may be on the city TG, or even perhaps another TG all together.
If your 396 is set to receive patched talkgroups, try not sitting on the main channel: try scanning or searching to see what TG your 396 picks up the multiselect. Like I said, on the Motorola system here, if you are not monitoring the exact odd-numbered patched group or "status bit" your trunktracker may pick up the patched traffic on another talkgroup, one you might least suspect. Based on what I hear and what actual Motorola radios like the MTS 2000 or MTx 2500 series do, scanners behave differently than "real radios."
I'd also double check your 396's to make sure you have them set to receive multiselects; on the 296d it's "status bit on."
Hope I made sense here...if not I'll try again!

ruarc

loumaag said:
I have not (yet).

As you should know, "ignore" its the proper status bit setting for normal Type II systems.

You mention a 996, but were not clear, am I understanding that the 996 was working properly but the 396's did not?

The only thing I can think of is which side of the patch/multi-select it was set from. In other words, which TG was the "master" might have result you saw but then why did the 996 work?

Yes, as I said, I tried both ways on the status bit, made no difference.

And my 996 doesn't show this problem. Nor do my 785 and 780s.

I have to believe that 5008 is the primary, it's the assigned dispatch channel.

This is causing me to have to program 4 TGs for each major channel (FD and PD), which is a REAL pain in the a^^.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Well I don't have a 996T but I do have a 396T and a 796 and two RS digitals so it is time for a test session. If I have the time later tonight, I will set something up. We have a very large TRS here that makes use of lots of patches/multi-selects. I will break out Trunker, and see if I can find something that is being used on a routine basis and then set it up in three radios to see if I can put a handle on it.

With any luck we can discover the fix and maybe Uniden can address it in a future firmware release.

Status
Not open for further replies.