396 speaker replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
The speaker is blown in my 396. I have some scanners that have been taken apart for parts and one of them has a speaker that is identical to the 396's speaker but it has 8 ohm impedance...the 396's speaker is 24 ohm. Would it hurt anything to put this speaker in the 396 or should I just order a new one from Uniden?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I kinda doubt it would do much damage - I don't know much about the audio amp in the 396. It could introduce some distortion due to the mismatch. Of course if you wired in a 16ohm 1/8 watt resistor in series, that would likely work, since Kirchoff's law tells us that resistance in series is additive :.>>

Whatever way you go, this wiki article will guide you along the way in describing how it should be done...(just click on the link below)

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Replace_a_Blown_Speaker_in_the_396

73 Mike

Last edited:

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I actually decided to just go ahead and order a new speaker from Uniden. They are only $1.67 + $2.50 for shipping, I figured that's worth it to have the right speaker in a $500 scanner. Just curious though...is that wire connected to the headphone output? It's kind of hard to tell exactly where it's hooked up to in that picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.