396 XT question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfd461

Premium Subscriber
Hello out there. Can anybody out there tell me if there is a way to improve audio quality on the 396 XT scanner in the 800 frequency range? I live across the river from Philadelphia which use those frequencys and the audio has a lot to be desired. I bought a special antenna for that range but does not do much. Here in Burlington county we use frequencys in the 500 range and the scanner works great but in the 800 range not so good. So any suggestions, thanks for any help.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Distance is your problem. The city's system is destined to function well within it's borders but be weak outside of them. A directional antenna such as an 800mHz yagi might help.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
try visiting Philly one day and see how it goes when in the city...
its possible a setting isnt right etc, but more then likely distance

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just got my bcd 396xt how do you program this unit

Scannerman, the first thing to do is to go to the User CP (which is in the blue toolbar under the thread title) and enter your location data (county/state is fine) under Your Profile and Edit Your Details. This will give the folks out there some idea of where you are; local help is often the best kind.

Next, I would recommend reading a couple of articles from our wiki. Go to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, and float/click your mouse over Wiki then select Wiki home. In the Popular Topics section on the right in the yellow area, about 2/3 of the way down, click on the Uniden DMA FAQ. This will get you started in thinking in terms of groups, systems, sites and most importantly quick keys. You understand these things, you're 2/3 of the way home.

Next, in the Links for Newcomers section (purple, top right), click on the Connecting scanners via USB article. This will tell you about the USB cables known to work with Uniden scanners, and some of the tricks/tips about loading drivers and using Device Manager.

Finally, go get yourself a copy of the freeware package FreeScan. We host the user manual in our wiki here. Once folks know where you are, you should be able to go into your state's forum and ask for a file to load. Freescan can import ARC and UASD files, or perhaps someone already has a .996 (the extension FreeScan often uses) file for your area. Alternately with a premium subscription (described here ) you can download data from our database; Freescan supports this feature.

Start a new thread and ask questions. There are lots of folks here that can help

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.