Status
Not open for further replies.

kjfswkr

Hi all,
I have a Uniden 396 that I have no idea how to program but I am willing to try. How do I copy the data from the database on this forum into the 396? I have the uniden software also.

Thanks,

Kevin

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
kjfswkr said:
I have the Butel software also, help??????

Kevin
If you have the Butel software, and show to be a premium subscriber use the web import function of the ARC396 software.

Another thing you might find helpfull. As you already have the Uniden (and Butel) software, pull up one of the preloaded systems in the software. Compare how the system looks, in either software package, with how the database shows it here.

You can also ask in the state forum for your area. Someone near you may already have a file created for a system that interests you, and be willing to share. But instead of just loading it & forgetting about it, pull that up in the software. Compare how it looks on the screen with how the data shows on the web page. Once you understand what goes where, you'll be able to set up a system very quickly, even without web import.

There are also a number of files, for various areas, available on the 396 Yahoo group. You must be a member to download files. Any file that you receive, via download, email, or other means, review it in the software. You'll learn more that way, and begin to understand the setup process. Also, as you begin to listen to your scanner, you'll want to change those files from time to time. Add or subtract frequencies, or talkgroups if it's a trunked system, as you fine tune what you listen to or as the system changes.

Once you have a system ready for listening, you'll need to get it into the scanner. That's done by addinng it to a 'configuration'. Get comfortable with creating & editing, then configuration is a breeze. This post is for UASD & the 246, but the steps are basically the same for the BCD396T_UASD version.

Last edited:

kjfswkr

thanks

Hi Hiegtx,
Thanks for the info. I already figured out how to import via the database before I got you message. I need to really learn this scanner. Now another question. On my state page in the database there are frequencies that can't be imported, how do I get these into the scanner?

Kevin

PS: I am in NH

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
kjfswkr said:
Hi Hiegtx,
Thanks for the info. I already figured out how to import via the database before I got you message. I need to really learn this scanner. Now another question. On my state page in the database there are frequencies that can't be imported, how do I get these into the scanner?

Kevin

PS: I am in NH
Which location's frequencies can you not import? County? City? Department? Conventional or trunked?
Also, which version of the ARC396 software are you using? Unless somethings changed, I believe you need to be using the "beta" version to do conventional frequency downloads, if that's what's giving you a problem. The latest, non-beta version, last comments I saw, would do imports from trunked systems, but not conventionals as yet.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually you have another option - download the desired files as .csv files and let the software do the import (assuming you are a paid up member, that is...). Scan Control can do this, and I'm pretty sure the ARC software can as well. 73s Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ka3jjz said:
Actually you have another option - download the desired files as .csv files and let the software do the import (assuming you are a paid up member, that is...). Scan Control can do this, and I'm pretty sure the ARC software can as well. 73s Mike
Mike,
Just took a look at Butel's website ( kjfswkr indicated he had ARC396, but not which version), and it does show *..csv import as an option.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think you didn't understand my suggestion, so let me start over...

if you are a paid subscriber of this site as defined here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Subscription

you will have the ability to download comma seperated value (csv) files for your state. You would find this under the 'download' tab available on each page.

ARC396 has the ability to import csv files - maybe not as elegant as the web service, but certainly easier than typing or entering everything by hand.

I would also write Gommert and see if your version of ARC396 can be upgraded to get the most current edition of the web service code, which I think now does import conventional data. If that isn't available, the csv import function in ARC396 is your next best bet.

Another way to get a csv file from RR is available if you have a newer version of Excel - do a web query on the desired page. You can then save the data away as a worksheet (if you want to edit the data first, for example) and/or as a csv file.

73s Mike

Last edited:

kjfswkr

another ?

Hi all,
I got some of the database frequencies in but then I tried to program in the NH State Police frequencies in but can't upload them. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
kjfswkr said:
Hi all,
I got some of the database frequencies in but then I tried to program in the NH State Police frequencies in but can't upload them. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin, your talking about these frequencies, right?

Did you purchase the Butel (ARC396) software, or are you still in the demo (trial) period?

If you've already purchased it, then you need to download & install the latest version. The 'beta' version, 1.05, is the one that it currently takes to do conventional system imports directly from RadioReference (you show to be a Premium Subscriber). You can also download a *.csv file of the NH State Police system & import it that way. Don't know if the version you have will accept the import of a *.csv, but the current version, 1.042, and the 'beta' version (1.05) both do. If you are still in the demo, or trial period, not all features may work, & an update won't solve your problem.

Assuming you've purchased the software & entered your key, go to Butel's page here.
Click on Products on the left side of the page.
Click on Uniden BCD396T under scanners, or on ARC396 under "Software on the page that comes up.
Read the notes on downloading & updrading from a previous version.
There are links on the page to download the file for either Basic or Pro, whichever matches what you have now.

kjfswkr

Thanks Hiegtx, I purchased Butels software. I have ver 1.042, will download beta ver and give that a try. Will let you know how I make out. Then I need to really sit down with this radio and computer and learn it.

73's

Kevin

kjfswkr

Hello Hiegtx,
That worked, thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate the help. Now, just need to see how correct the database is. Will turn on the radio on way to work tomorrow and listen to State Police, etc.

Again, thank you,

Kevin

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Kevin,
One hint here. On any frequency that is noted as APCO-25 (digital), or that you suspect might be APCO-25, do not use any PL/CTCSS tone or DCS code. Doing so will keep the scanner from hearing any digital transmission. If you are not sure whether it is or is not digital, enter it twice. Once without any tone or code (maybe stick a P25 shorthand in the text tag), and then enter again with tone/code setting set to "Search".

I have to do this with the Texas Department of Public Safety. They also use conventional frequencies, not trunked, but are in the process of converting over to APCO-25 (digital) region by region, as equipment is replaced or upgraded. While my region is not digital as yet, if I travel west 50-60 or more, as I do when I visit friends about 120 miles west of the metro area, I start getting in range of stations that are digital. Same if I travel very far to the southwest. Texas DPS uses a fair number of frequencies, but they are used repeatedly in various areas of the state, some converted to digital, some not. I've separated the two sets into groups in the *.USD file, labeling one as APCO-25 to denote no PL's or DCS codes used. The new BCD996T solves this by allowing you to designate a frequency as digital or analog.

You might take a look at this online "manual" for the 396 as well. This was written by another member in the interest of simplifying things.

Status
Not open for further replies.