396T, 396XT, 996XT: "Chuuuuukkk" and "Click"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have all three of these Unidens, all with the most recent firmware versions (am now in the poor house). On all of these:

At the end of a conventional scan transmission, there is a loud "Chuuuukkk" when the carrier drops.
At the end of a trunk transmission, there is a not-as-loud sharp "Click"
(...like the decay of the audio of the latter is much quicker than the latter ...in a physicist's lingo: like "back emf ").

The former is very annoying, especially when I use my earphones with the handhelds. It hurts!
The latter is bearable and after a while, I can tune it out.

Is this a function of the squelch setting on the scanner, trunk, or conventional repeater?
In short, is there a setting that I am missing to use on these scanners?

BTW, I also have a 780XLT with only a soft, almost unnoticeable "click" after conventional transmissions.

If this topic has been discussed before, please direct me to the thread. Thanks.

Love all three scanners.

bearcat991

Ever heard of squelch tail??

All that "noise" at the end of any radio transmission is, is the squelch tail and is present in one form or another at the end of all radio transmissions. It is not a problem with your radio or the other transmitters but is nothing more than a fact of life......

Dewey

Using the squelch tones (CTCSS, DCS) is great at eliminating squelch tails. It doesn't work for all systems, but I find it works for close to all for me. Naturally if you're listening to a CSQ signal, CTCSS and DCS are not an option.

Dewey

slicerwizard

Back in the 80's and 90's, Unidens had horrible squelch tails and there was nothing you could do about it. Even maxing out the squelch control wouldn't fix it. Meanwhile, the GREs had fast acting squelch circuits - nice and quiet. I'm guessing that not much has changed since then.

Use PL/DPL if you can and maybe try test driving a GRE.

scannersnstuff

i too am not a fan of squelch tail and hard drop <for lack of a better term>. i wish that the end code could be attached to conventional fq's like it can be on trunking. gre has greatly reduced the squelch tail on their newer scanner's <psr-500/600>. they also claim to have the best ctcss/dcs feature's in the scanner industry. commercial radio's are for the most part pretty good at soft drop squelch tail's. my kenwood portable run's circle's around scanner's in that respect. a very thoroughly discussed idea has been the concept of creating a scanner with the attributes of a commercial radio. the end result was the idea that such an animal would be too costly,and not sell well.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For trunked systems, make sure that End Code Detect is turned on for Motorola systems. (Some of the PC software packages default to ignore.)

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
When monitoring Motorola Systems you may get an annoying crash sound at the end of every transmission. This is data transmitted at the end by the Motorola system you are monitoring. There is an adjustment you can make in your scanner to fix this.
You need to turn on the end code option to stop that hard crash sound after every transmission. Here is how you do it Butel Software or FeeScan Software.
In ARC XT
In left side Browser window click on name of the Motorola system. On the right side two tabs show up. The General Tab and the Trunk Systems Parameters tabs. Click on the Trunk Systems Parameters Tab.
Then you will see the option Mot: EndCode. Either select analog or analog and digital.
Then upload this system to the scanner. Remember to click ob overwrite systems with same name or you will wind up with two identical systems in the scanner except for end code option change.
FreeScan
Click on the Motorola system in question. The window on the right should be Trunk system Setup window. Under the General section click on Use Motorola End Code and Use digital Motorola (if you have digital system)
Interesting Freescan gives you the option of just turning on the digital end code Butel ARCXT does not. Umm And Free is free.

It can be done manually using front panel keys. As of yet I do not have the full menu tree so I don&#8217;t know exactly how to do this.

On conventional channels use a delay like 2 seconds and change your agc settings should help. Also turn off rs232 option and record option. This has been found to help with conventional channels

Ablice

Manual endcode option on scanner:

Menu > Program System > [scroll to intended system and press control knob] > Edit Sys Option > Set End Code or Digital End Code. You may set it to Ignore or Yes on my 396T.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I know this is an old post, but I think he's actually talking about the sound that the Motorola repeaters make when people De-key their mics, it makes that cluck click sound just as he stated, I don't think hes talking about when the repeater closes. I don't think there is any way to mute the cluck click sound because it sounds like it comes from the receiving radio in the repeater in a Motorola system.

sfd119

Are you talking about the MDC PTT IDs at the end of the transmisson?

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Are you talking about the MDC PTT IDs at the end of the transmisson?

Ah, I totally forgot about that. And I dont think I read his post right. But if he was talking about mdc, I think he would have mentioned a beep/shreeeek sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.