396T and shared talk groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

grodgers

Our county trunked system has shared talk groups. when the talk group is active, is there any way to differentiate between the agencies using the talkgroup, other than listening for the car numbers?

Programmed from RR - and the shared talkgroup i listen to most shows up as "PD2" - it's shared by 5 different municipal PD's.

(Trunked system is Morris County, NJ).

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Here in ILL that same problem arises and usually each local has a different series of numering...ex: Lemont, ILL-3800, Darian ILL-4200, but all are on the same freqys or talkgroup...Hope this helps....

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Our county trunked system has shared talk groups. when the talk group is active, is there any way to differentiate between the agencies using the talkgroup, other than listening for the car numbers?

Programmed from RR - and the shared talkgroup i listen to most shows up as "PD2" - it's shared by 5 different municipal PD's.

(Trunked system is Morris County, NJ).

What I think you will find is the talk groups are not shared. Each area has their own specific TGIDs that may share a common name (i.e., PD2). You can change the text in your scanner to reflect what ever it is you want it to. You could preface the 'PD2' with a community name.

This is much easier to do with software.

grodgers

Actually it really is 5 muni pd's sharing a single talkgroup (TG 33808). I find it hard to believe that when any of them talk on the radio, the other 4 pd's can hear them - but that's how it is, it seems.

I'd just like to be able to identify who dispatch is talking to .. oh well, welcome to NJ :-D

MarkEagleUSA

I find it hard to believe that when any of them talk on the radio, the other 4 pd's can hear them - but that's how it is, it seems.
You'll probably have better luck asking about this in the New Jersey forum where others might be more familiar with this system.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Actually it really is 5 muni pd's sharing a single talkgroup (TG 33808). I find it hard to believe that when any of them talk on the radio, the other 4 pd's can hear them - but that's how it is, it seems.

I'd just like to be able to identify who dispatch is talking to .. oh well, welcome to NJ
:-D
Actually that's quite common. Looks like the PDs in your area are dispatched by the county, that's also the case in my county and most of the other counties around me. My county has about 15 PDs plus the Sheriff's dept and they split them into 2 talkgroups. (except from 3-11 am they all use the same talkgroup) They use a 4 digit ID that 3 numbers and a letter, the letter designates the city. My city's letter is D so a squad calling in as "x David xx" is from my city. Looks like your county uses just numbers, here is a list of them:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=codes&code_id=2400

Last edited:

grodgers

Thanks, Raven - just listening is how it has to be. I've already got that PD/Cars list - thanks - do you know how to update it? I've got a couple of additions for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.