396T DC power adapter / wall wart help

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeuser

The Wretched
I picked up a used 396T in nice shape. The power adapter isn't original though. It doesn't look cheap but its rated 5v 2a the 396T shows on the side that it wants 6v 800ma. Yet, the 5v 2a seems to work. Advice please?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You can buy an OEM replacement direct from Uniden. I bought some replacements from RS that are not as well regulated and create hum on the audio. The problem with the lower voltage is that it may cause the batteries to charge more slowly. The three rechargeable AA batteries only put out about 3.6V so the radio will work on 5V, but the charging circuit may need 6V.

joeuser

The Wretched
Never considered that illegal voltage message...

I won't charge batteries in a radio. Just not worth the risk when chargers are so much cheaper than a radio. I hadn't considered the side etched requirements would take in account for charging though.

It did seem to function fine with the charger that came with it... Just hate to shorten the life of the radio or cause some insidious damage while using it...

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
My 396t original adaptor reads, Uniden class 2 power supply, Model No. AD-1001, Input 120 Vac 60Hz 10W, Output 6vdc 0.8A Regulated. neg=pos.

Status
Not open for further replies.