396T EDACS Noises (NOT Beeps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jehm1212

When listening to the EDACS system in my county, I notice that my 396T lets through a lot of the loud, irritating buzzsaw noise BEFORE a transmission. This makes listening rather uncomfortable on the ears. It doesn't seem to be linked to signal strength. Sometimes I will get it repeatedly for two or three transmissions and it is really annoying, especially in the car with an amplified speaker. Has anyone else noticed this?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
No, not on EDACS. Does your system use MDT, or AVL (automatic vehicle locator)?

800crazy1

i get them occasionally on hartford ct. edacs system but not frequently , but from time to time , i think it might be a loacation thing (where your at at the time) like a semi dead spot.

GTO_04

That is not the scanner. The system is doing that. Any scanner will pick that up. I don't get that nearly as much as I used to after my county upgraded its EDACS system. There is nothing much you can do about it. Someone familiar with EDACS systems told me the buzzing happens when the controller gets overloaded.

I can verify it's in the EDACS system because I have actually heard the police radios do it too. The frequency of occurrence will vary a lot from system to system and some may never hear it.

GTO_04

jfmuller

Buzz sounds

I receive the same Buzz on my local EDACS channel, drives me crazy, I have a pro-92, pro2055, and have programmed a pro-95, pro97 and none of them have the problem. I also programmed a BR330T for a friend and she hears them too. Seems specific to Uniden scanners and the way it receives. Since the GRE scanners don't receive it I ruled out the possibiliy of programming it wrong.

I sent an email to Uniden the other day and have not received anything from them. I would like to figure it out. Maybe it can be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

Attached is a zip of the noise, I hear it 10 miles, 5 miles and 1 mile from the tower so I wouldn't consider it a problem of being at the edge of the area.

Attachments

• NYCOMCO_EDACS.zip
    46.9 KB · Views: 75

daleduke17

There is an EDACS system the next county over to me and last night I could pick it up, and I coiuld hear some sort of noise like that as well on my Pro-96.

Later.

brandon

Database Admin
I get the same thing monitoring the Riverside County EDACS system. It seems to be an issue with the units radio. Whenever it happens the dispatcher will say "try again you didn't make it". There are many dead spots in the county.
I do notice the RadioShack scanners don't make the noise, so there has to be a way to block it out.

jehm1212

brandon said:
It seems to be an issue with the units radio. Whenever it happens the dispatcher will say "try again you didn't make it".

That seems to be the issue some of the time with mine. Other times I will hear the buzz immediately followed by the transmission.

brandon said:
I do notice the RadioShack scanners don't make the noise, so there has to be a way to block it out.

I, too, have noticed that my Pro-96 never lets through the noise.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Edacs noise

Here in IL my county has the same problem with there Edacs system, its reffered to as "NCs" by the cops, my Uniden 245 and 898 is bad with the problem but never hear it on the RS 2053,PRO96,2096......

Status
Not open for further replies.