396t "illegal Voltage"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunbow8

I just purchased a used 396t and to my horror, I went to recharge the batteries, but the display read "Illegal Voltage"... I took the batteries out and tried using just the power cord and the same thing appeared!! I bought brand new rechargeables and the display reads the same... .. anyone know what's going on??

Also, I tried programming in my area's apco25 band, but I can't find the "control channel " selection.. I tried entering all of the freq's and talk groups, but still won't pick up the channels.. It will pick them up when I do a service search...

This scanner is driving me crazy!!!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Believe it or not you will get the hang of it a lot easier than you think right now.
What are you trying to program?
Which system?

Do you have software to program it?

sunbow8

I am trying to input the Bucks County, PA Smartnet system...(501 mhz) and I am using the free software from Uniden (which I downloaded)...

VA3QRM

illegal voltage

sunbow8 said:
I just purchased a used 396t and to my horror, I went to recharge the batteries, but the display read "Illegal Voltage"... I took the batteries out and tried using just the power cord and the same thing appeared!! I bought brand new rechargeables and the display reads the same... .. anyone know what's going on??

Also, I tried programming in my area's apco25 band, but I can't find the "control channel " selection.. I tried entering all of the freq's and talk groups, but still won't pick up the channels.. It will pick them up when I do a service search...

Illegal voltage...... It was a blown resistor and transistor in the charging circuit for me. ( $48 repair cost ) Talk to the person who sold it to you and get your money back. Buy one from someone you can trust or a new one. I learned my lesson and only use an external battery charger. Good luck sunbow8.

Last edited:

n2mdk

sunbow8 said:

Use the search feature on the site, seems that illegal voltage display comes up when the diode at the dc input on the radio gets fried, looks like you will have to send it in to be fixed, or use an external charger and run the radio solely off the batteries.

Since it's a UHF/500MHz system you need to set the base offset and spacing it's listed in the database. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1012
Base --- Spacing --- Offset
501.0375 -- 25.0 -- 380

Last edited:

slicerwizard

sunbow8 said:
I just purchased a used 396t and to my horror, I went to recharge the batteries, but the display read "Illegal Voltage"
The AC adapter is not producing six volts (plus or minus a quarter volt or so), or at least the scanner dosn't think it is. The adapter model should be Uniden AD-1001.

sunbow8

Amazing, I am truly shocked by the amount of support the scanning community gives.. !
Thanks folks.. I figured something was fried and wanted to know if it was a serious problem or one that can be fixed easily.. I had the 250d and loved it.. this scanner is a bear though... I will make the adjustments to the offset and send it in to Uniden for repairs.. thank you, thank you...

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
This may not be accurate, but have you checked the switch inside the battery compartment that turns on/off the rechargeable/non-rechargeable type?

sunbow8

Yes, I made sure that the switch was set to the rechargeable setting... thanks for the thought though... and Jerri, I do not see a way to enter the spacing and offset... I've checked the scanner settings and with the Uniden software... nada...

I was trying to just enter the control channel and setting the scanner to control channel only.. but cannot find it.... anybody want a scanner????

jon_k

Hope this isn't a problem uniform to Unidens product line. I just got a 246T and I've been charging my rechargables inside the radio itself.

If the recharge circuit blows itself out and disrupts normal radio operation... not a good thing.

n2mdk

In the software it's in the window where you set trunking options, the system has to be set to
Motorola UHF Type 2 then click on Band Plan. Using the radio through the menu it's under Edit System Options>Set Band Plan

mikeydcg2003

i have never had an issue with charging in my 396. I get new batteries every year to keep them up to date. The longer they go, the shorter they seem to work

mancow

Database Admin
Do you have access to a simple volt meter? If so, test the power the adaptor is producing and see if it's within the specs stated here. It may save you the trouble and time of sending the whole thing back for repair.

sunbow8 said:
Amazing, I am truly shocked by the amount of support the scanning community gives.. !
Thanks folks.. I figured something was fried and wanted to know if it was a serious problem or one that can be fixed easily.. I had the 250d and loved it.. this scanner is a bear though... I will make the adjustments to the offset and send it in to Uniden for repairs.. thank you, thank you...

ocguard

If you literally just bought it, I would push for a new unit, not a repair. This should not be a problem if you bought it from one of the accredited distributors like CEI or Scannermaster.

Once you get it going, you'll love it.

n2mdk

ocguard said:
If you literally just bought it, I would push for a new unit, not a repair. This should not be a problem if you bought it from one of the accredited distributors like CEI or Scannermaster.

Once you get it going, you'll love it.

He bought a use one, reread the first line in the OP

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Moved to the Uniden forum. Please take a moment before creating a thread next time and look over all forum titles.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Try using the BCTool (free app) and become a Premium member here. Then use it to download your trunking systems and program the scanner. When I got mine that was the first thing I did. Although I have learned a lot since then, it was the fastest and most efficient way of getting it programmed accurately as a newbie to the system.

Just a suggestion.

rcool101

Feed Provider
I have a 246 and a 396. Both scanners have the same tip for the wall wart. If I plug the 396 into the 246 wall wart by mistake than I get that same message. You must use the right one. As stated earlier it is Model number AD-1001 6 volt DC. The 246 model number is AD-0008. Its also 6v but will not work

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
As to the other question (P25 scanning) the system you are trying to program is not a P25 system. You need to program it as a Motorola Type II UHF system, with the base/step/offset entered as shown on the page linked earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.