396t keeps cutting out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfab

I am having problems with one of my 800mhz systems(Colorado DTRS) cutting out continouslly. I have lessened my control channels, and that still hasnt' kept a strong signal throughout the transmission. Any help?? Thanks!!!

Jim41

jfab said:
I am having problems with one of my 800mhz systems(Colorado DTRS) cutting out continouslly. I have lessened my control channels, and that still hasnt' kept a strong signal throughout the transmission. Any help?? Thanks!!!

Verify that (a) Close Call, (b) Priority, and (c) Weather Alert are all turned OFF.

Jim41

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Make sure the squelch is set at 0. Also try a different antenna. If you are using the antenna that came with your 396, it is pretty much useless. Radio Shack's 800mhz rubber duckie antenna seems to work well, and there are some others that work well too.

tomandnic

He probably suggested squelch at zero in case the signal is really weak.. 0 will keep it wide open for testing/to try and eliminate weak signal as the cause. But for everyday use youll want more then that.

Normally 99% of the time its what Jim said .. Close Call or WX, or Priority is on, they cut in every couple seconds.

pyeman99

tomandnic said:
He probably suggested squelch at zero in case the signal is really weak.. 0 will keep it wide open for testing/to try and eliminate weak signal as the cause. But for everyday use youll want more then that.

Normally 99% of the time its what Jim said .. Close Call or WX, or Priority is on, they cut in every couple seconds.
Or squelch is nearly at threshold + battery saver on.

jfab

Ok- I had the Priority, WX, and Close Call all off. I mad sure of this. The first thing I did was put Radio Shack's 800mhz antennea on, so that's not a problem. I will try the squelch and Battery saver and get back to you! Thanks to all!

Edit: The squelch has fixed the P25 system, but is screwing with my Conventional freqs. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

bayrisch

Digital Threshold

How do you have your digital threshold set? I'm in the Denver area and listen to P25 on my 396T without any problem. I leave it set at 8 and on automatic.

Mark

jfab

bayrisch said:
How do you have your digital threshold set? I'm in the Denver area and listen to P25 on my 396T without any problem. I leave it set at 8 and on automatic.

Mark
I have it on auto, but how do I set it on 8??

bayrisch

Adjusting Threshold Level

To adjust the threshold level, press the function key (upper left side button) and hold it. While holding it, click down on your volume control until you see ERR on the left and a number on the right next to auto on the right. Just turn the volume know until you see the number 8 or experiment with it and see what number gives you the best digital threshold setting.

For factory defaults, you can just go to Program System and under Sys Options, look for "Adjust P25 Level." Click on that and make sure that it is set for Auto. The Auto setting is for a threshold setting of 8. With an auto setting, the scanner starts at 8 and then looks for the comfortable threshold.

When I first got my scanner, I played with this quite a bit and learned to just leave the scanner on Auto for P25. Good luck.

Mark

a29zuk

It's the most disappointing thing about the 396. I messed with the threshold quite a bit too, and I got it set to "9" for the best performance. But when I put the scanner in the bedroom I only get 2 bars on the signal strength meter. The signal will break up quite a bit.
If I set it in the corner of the living room I get 4 bars and the scanner works great. Still when I hook it to my outside antenna I get 5 bars(too strong?) the signal breaks up again.
I did have to buy the 800MHZ duckie antenna to get it to work good enough in the living room. I've been buying Uniden/Bearcat scanners for years and I am a little disappointed
with this radio.... May have to buy a different brand next time. Hope to see a firmware update on this problem as I read the GRE scanners decode the P25 very well.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
one other thing....

I don't know how many of the talk-groups your trying to monitor are full-time digital but, when setting up my 996, I had some real problems with the digital stuff. By changing the audio type from "all" to "digital" on the digital only talk-groups, it made a HUGE difference.

jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.