396T low battery alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Is there a reason my scanner does not tell me when the battery gets low? It shows the battery voltage, but it never alerts me when it gets low, neither visually or audibly. It just shuts off.

K8TEK

Banned
Yes, but doesn't the display have a low battery icon that should display?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
could it be a bad battery? like maybe the voltage is fine then boom just drops off so the radio has no time to tell u its low.. dunno just thinking about ideas

K8TEK

Banned
No, the batteries are fine. I think the engineers were lazy when they wrote the firmware and turning off the keypad beeps also disabled this feature. Who needs a keypad beep anyways, I think I know when I press a key. Who needs 15 different volume levels for the keypad beep either?

I guess I will turn on that annoying "feature" and see if this takes care of it, if it does I guess I will do do without it, because I refuse to leave it turned on. This scanner continues to disappoint me.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Maybe the 396T should have a voltage setting like the GRE line

:)

Last edited:

K8TEK

Banned
What voltage settings are you talking about?

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
Battery Icon

I do not believe the keypad beep being cycled off has any bearing on the low battery indicator. My 396 and 330 have beep cycled off and do display the low battery icon. Sometimes for a minute or two, sometimes for as much as fifteen minutes.

W9NES

My new Uniden Bc 396T for the first time beeped at me telling me to charge the radio so I put the radio on charge and then after it was chagred the display said thatt the charging was complete.Your low battery indicator show beep at you to tell you this.You might want to refer to your owners manual for the Uniden Bc 396T. Hope this helps.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
That's why I added a smile, for those who saw the post where I confused the scanner being discussed.

In any case - I was correct in pointing out that the Uniden does have a low battery alert.

I suppose I could follow your lead, and just leave bad information up there. But I thought it made more sense to remove something that was incorrect.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
...and I corrected it... When I give the correct info in the firmware thread, you jump on me, yet you add nothing...

Interesting.

warrior420

My 396's have the flashing low battery icon when it gets low. There is also a volts meter to monitor the charge left in the batteries.

K8TEK

Banned
Well, the problem is the keypad beep setting. Apparently somebody mysteriously presses a button every 15 seconds when the battery gets low.

hey stupid uniden, fix this problem. a low battery alert should not be muted as well when I chose not to listen to a keypad beep. Keypad beep = Low battery alert?

Last edited:

delta_p

K8TEK said:

hey stupid uniden, fix this problem. a low battery alert should not be muted as well when I chose not to listen to a keypad beep. Keypad beep = Low battery alert?

Not a problem for me. I thought it was pretty smart of them to put it in there for the folks that actually need a beep to tell them their battery is low. I am not one of those, so I am glad it can be turned off. I just watch volts for 3.5 then change batteries shortly after.

PP

warrior420

K8TEK is just a wine a.*.$. Sell it then and buy something else, plenty of people are more than happy with this unit. Most of the time the biggest problem is the user ;p

wvscanner

Database Admin
It is the battery. I have used several ones. If you watch the voltage on your scanner you will notice it drops pretty quick for the ones that is not getting more then just a beep or a flash. I think it doesn't show that unitl it hits 3.5v. when I bought new batteries this would happen. When I used some used set the volts would drop fast at first then slow down when it got down to the 3.5v and even slower till it was down once at 3.35 before the scanner blanked out. Since then I bought a charger that can test the quality of each battery during a charge and discharged test to give me a rating of that battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.