396t mobile antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

basilt

Premium Subscriber
I would like some input from people with the 396t on what antenna they prefer over the factory one provided. Or if it is just as good as any other ones you can get for the scanner. Im curious about the antenna that connects to the scanner itself. I like to listen to all bands just still trying to figure out how to pick up the most.

tilleyhat

With my 396T in the car, i have 2 antennas to cover what i need to listen to: a bmaxscan8053 for 800 and maxrad1444 for 150-155/400 bands.

n4yek

One antenna will not be sufficient for great reception on all band unless you live in a city. I have to have two HT antennas depending on what i want to listen to. Radio Shack has a great 800Mhz antenna that you should pick up, it does so-so on UHF and below. On VHF and UHF, you can use just about any dual band HT antenna for good results.

af5rn

I would like some input from people with the 396t on what antenna they prefer over the factory one provided. Or if it is just as good as any other ones you can get for the scanner. Im curious about the antenna that connects to the scanner itself.
I'm confused. Are you looking for a MOBILE antenna, as in an antenna you mount on your car and plug into your scanner? Or are you looking for a replacement for your rubber duck PORTABLE antenna that mounts to the scanner itself? Those are two very different things.

You're not going to find much improvement by moving to a different portable antenna. Some, but not enough to get excited about. As for mobile antennas, the better ones will make a huge difference in your reception. The lesser ones will make no noticeable difference between them and the rubber duck. Half the questions in the antenna forum are asking the same question, so just spend an hour reading and you'll get plenty of ideas. Good luck!

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Big fan of the Radio Shack 800 Rubber Duck on my 396T. Significant improvement on 800 over the stock and well worth the $20 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.