396T & Motorola Type II SmartZone

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkn50

Long Time Member
Premium Subscriber
The Harris County Regional Radio System ( Harris County Regional Radio System (Motorola) Trunking System, Metro Houston area, Texas - Scanner Frequencies ) is a Motorola Type II SmartZone system with multiple sites and control channels.

I programmed all of the control channels in one system on the 396T. I thought the radio would go from control channel to control channel as it scanned. Instead the radio will find a control channel, use it to check for activity in the programmed talkgroups, then resume scanning and skip the other control channels. For example, the radio may find a weak control channel, use it then skip the strong control channel from a tower nearer to my location.

I had hoped to avoid programming each tower as a separate system because of the large number of talkgroups.

A method that seems to work is to lock out all CCs other than the strongest one. That is ok when stationary but not so good when traveling around the area covered by the system.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I have a six-site smartzone system that I encounter similar issues with trying to monitor.

The only workable option I discovered was to power-cycle the 396T when moving to a new area. The scanner seems to capture the first CC of any strength and keep it for as long as it can still read that CC, regardless of strength of other CCs matching that sysid.

Status
Not open for further replies.