396t noise problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferd1605

My 396t was working perfect untill a few days ago . i listen to the local PD which is p25 digital , every so often it stops scanning and has a loud noise , like open squelch . it seem to do it on a random basis as far as group ID's are concerned . the open squelch noise will stay on untill i push the scan button or , let it sit there for about a minute then it will quit on it's own .. di i possibly change something in the programing by accident ? of maybe the PD's system is at fault ? of internal radio problem ? .. any help or comments are welcome .. Thx.

ferd1605

Ok , up-date on the noise .. i am now hearing non-digital traffic , sounds like a buiseness i belive , must be some trunked system i am hearing . i have heard conversations on analog , and then the digital PD system would come in and over ride it ... this all started a week ago ... and can the squelch be adjusted on p25 digita ? ? ?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The squelch can be adjusted on anything. Normally, though, on trunked systems the audio path is controlled by signalling, not by RF level. However, if there is interference or if the signal is weak and the scanner misses the signal telling it to return to the control channel (the End Code), then it falls back to using RF level based on the squelch setting to determin that the channel is no longer active.

Note: I might be able to be more specific if I know which system you were talking about. You reference "Local PD" but that doesn't mean much to me without knowing where you are.

ferd1605

The system i am listening to is in Cedar Rapids , iowa ... i ave heard this noise while mobil with external antenna as far away as 30 mile from Cedar Rapids ... i will give it a shot at setting the squelch and see if that helps ..

Status
Not open for further replies.