396T P25 Band Plan Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

I recently noticed I have band plan frequencies and step size for a P25 system I programmed into my scanner. The thing about this is, I didn't program those into the scanner so I am very curious as to how those would magically show up.
Would the scanner see these and store them from the data stream of the P25 system?
Any thoughts?

Danny

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Dan AFAIK it doesn't actually store the bandplan so much as use it automatically as part of the calculation process to find the next available frequency/slot. I think it's used on the fly, and not actually stored anywhere

best regards..Mike

nd5y

It stores it at least for a while. I just took my 396T and removed the antenna so it lost the control channel. Then I power cycled it and went back to the system, still without the antenna and the band plan was still there. Anyway it isn't something you would ever have to program or edit or be concerned with.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's interesting - I wonder why it would need to store it when it's sent along with all the rest of the data on the CC? It seems unnecessarily redundant.

Mike

n4yek

Thanks Tom, I was wondering how it got stored into my scanner. It also done this on another P25 system and was curious if the scanner was storing them on it's own, I know I didn't put them there.
Thanks Mike for your input on the subject.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is stored because otherwise the scanner could not start monitoring the system until the band plan cycled back around in the control channel data. The very first time you monitor a P25 system, it takes a bit longer to start tracking the system due to this...you wouldn't want this latency every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.