396T Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

I just took delivery of a 396T.

I programmed the scanner with ARC396 software (internet RR option) and am listening to my local police. There are many duplications and I cannot figure out how to lock out what I dont want to listen to. Do I have to lockout each TGID in every system?

Ive been scanning for 10 plus years, but this scanner is like no other! Help!

Thanks - Jeff

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
There are a couple ways you can do it.

First and probably easiest...when you are hearing a talkgroup you don't want to listen to, just hit the L/O key. The scanner will lock that talkgroup out and keep scanning.

You can also do it in your ARC software. Click on the "+" next to the desired system, then click on the group that contains the talkgroup(s) you don't want to listen to. This will open up the list of talkgroups. Click on the 3rd box (labeled "L/Out" at the top of the column) for the talkgroup you want to change and press N to turn the lockout on or F to turn the lockout off.

If it's a talkgroup you know you won't ever want to listen to, you could just delete it.

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for replying.

Maybe I wasnt clear on what I have goin on. Ive been staring at the computer screen for the last couple hours and I guess it is taking a toll!

When I used RR and the ARC software to progam the scanner, it listed the same system 12 times. Duplicating the TGID's and such. If I pick one system and lockout the ones I dont want to hear and leaving the ones I want to scan open; then going into the rest of the systems and locking everything out (duplicates) how is that going to effect the scanner?

One other question......

Im not hearing anything from the State Police, again I used the RR and ARC software. It scans it, but never "hears" anything. Help!!

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Jeff,

Locking out the duplicate systems won't hurt anything in the scanner. In fact if you know which ones you don't want, you can manually delete them.

As to why your state police isn't working, let us know where you are located. That can help tell you what the problem might be.

The 396 is an excellent scanner, but it does take some getting used to. I'm not familiar with the ARC396 software so I can't help on why it is duplicating the system entries.

Now I know with the Uniden software that comes with the scanner, if you don't overwrite the memory when uploading and do not deselect them prior to the upload, they will appear in the scanner twice.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You would use the output of a USB to serial converter to connect to the scanner. You will need to load drivers for the USB device, which you should get from the manufacturer's or distributor's website to insure you have the most recent version for your OS.

Make sure you assign an unused COM port during the driver setup 73 Mike

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The scanner doesn't have to register the USB cable. When you plug the cable into the computer's USB port (assuming you've installed the cable's drivers) a COM port will be added to the PC. You use the newly created COM port to communicate with the scanner using whatever software (UASD, ARC, FreeScan, BCTool, etc) you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.