396T rebanding firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcanupp

Premium Subscriber
When Uniden came out with firmware updates, I installed (I think) v 3.2. My 800 reception was horrible. I replaced it with an older firmware. I want to install rebanded systems. Did Uniden come up with a "fix" for this?

nunyax

I think the last firmware update release was 3.02.02. The first version to support a "Custom Band Plan" for rebanded systems was 3.00.00. As for whether or not going to either 3.00.00 or 3.01.00 for rebanding would bring back the reception problems you had before, I don't know.

Both versions are available at the BCD396T Yahoo discussion group.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I seem to recall a great deal of discussion about this when 3.02.02 came out. If memory serves, the consensus seem to be that at least some folks found the decoding to be better if you switch the APCO mode to MAN (not AUTO) and set the threshold to 8. Also having the right modulation type is important - you didn't mention the system you were having trouble with, but NFM shouldn't be used unless your system is narrowbanded. Be sure the modulation is set to FM, not NFM.

Unfortunately Uniden seems to have issued its last firmware fixes for the older T scanners - they seem to be concentrating more on the XTs, and at least reportedly, the decoding is much better on the XTs. However, you didn't mention whether your system is simulcast - there's a detailed article in our wiki about the distortion that occurs with such systems. All consumer grade scanners are going to have some degree of trouble with such systems.

73 Mike

al95

I seem to recall a great deal of discussion about this when 3.02.02 came out. If memory serves, the consensus seem to be that at least some folks found the decoding to be better if you switch the APCO mode to MAN (not AUTO) and set the threshold to 8. Also having the right modulation type is important - you didn't mention the system you were having trouble with, but NFM shouldn't be used unless your system is narrowbanded. Be sure the modulation is set to FM, not NFM.

Unfortunately Uniden seems to have issued its last firmware fixes for the older T scanners - they seem to be concentrating more on the XTs, and at least reportedly, the decoding is much better on the XTs. However, you didn't mention whether your system is simulcast - there's a detailed article in our wiki about the distortion that occurs with such systems. All consumer grade scanners are going to have some degree of trouble with such systems.

73 Mike

Never mention it being the last update nor for lack of memory.
Uniden (Upman) has only answered this "I think you are reading more into my reply than what I said. I never said there would never be another update for the BCD996T and BCD396T. I never said that there would be another update for them, either. I cannot discuss updates that have not been announced (which either means that we have one that is not announced or that we don't have one to announce).

We provided necessary firmware updates for the BC296D and BC796D almost 7 years after they were discontinued. I cannot predict what might or might not happen in the next 7 years (else my 401K would be in much better shape)."

This is a news letter he e-mail us about the Checksum and esn update.

Why Do We Need Your ESN?

As we create new firmware loads for your scanner, we sometimes use information licensed to us by third parties. For those updates, we need to keep careful track of which scanners do and don’t include the update. We might also need to charge for some of these updates in the future, but don’t worry, I’ll make sure that any for-pay update has features you’ll be glad to pay for. Oh, and this first major update is free!
To manage this process, we are setting up a system that will create a registration key for any major update we come out with (a major update changes the first digit of the firmware version…right now we are still in Version 1, but Version 2 is on the horizon and I can almost glimpse a Version 3).
Since the registration key will be generated from your scanner’s ESN, and will be unique for every scanner, getting your ESN right is critical for making your update work (if you use a key for another scanner or don’t enter a key, your scanner will not work until you successfully apply the update with the key).

Last edited:

scanchs

73 Mike

I think the reports that P25 decoding is much better on the XT's is subjective at best. I believe that Uniden used the T platform to perfect the algorithm that they ultimately used in the XT series. I own and use scanners from both series, and with the latest firmware installed in both, I can't really tell any difference in P25 decoding capability.

I will say that the last 396T update (3.02.02) was released to improve on earlier 3.X versions based on feedback from a variety of users from all over the country. I could definitely hear an improvement over all previous versions. It was the first version I didn't feel a need to tweak to get clear reception. Of course, the XT's were that way out of the box, thanks in part to the work that had gone into improving the T's. My recollection is that there were some folks at the time who were having issues with 2 or 3 "problem" systems in specific areas. For some of those individuals, the XT's did improve P25 decoding on those "problem" systems.

My point is that the latest firmware seems to work properly on most systems in most areas. So, I'd first look into other possible causes for poor decoding (i.e., radio location, antenna, signal strength, interference, etc.) before downgrading the firmware to an earlier, less refined version. I agree with ka3jjz's suggestion to try the manual setting as another possible experiment to determine the root cause of the problem. I would downgrade the firmware only as a last resort because all other options had failed. Good luck... :)

ScanCHS

jcanupp

Premium Subscriber
Well, it was a few P-25 systems that I recieved well, then after 3.0.2, it just died. I even sent the radio in for repair, and they (uniden) basically said it was operator error. I reinstalled the old firmware, prior to v3, and it works great again. There are a few rebanded 800 systems in atlanta that I can't load or scan. It was Rockdale and fayette Counties type II 800 systems. I was just wondering if that had been addressed by the company or if anyone else had this problem. "simulcast", not really sure I understand this and I'll look at wiki later. I am considering re-entering the new firmware and try the suggestions that KA3JJT mentioned. I really appreciate everyone's input..thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.