396t Setting the Squelch

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanrrman

Hey, I just got my 396t and am having no trouble getting things programmed and going. One minor question I have is, how do you know what to set the squelch level at. My old scanner you would just keep turning until the noise quit, but I pick up no noise even when the squelch level is at 0. Is there more than just adjusting the level up and down to whatever you want? Thanks.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Nothing to do except press and hold Func, then press the Scroll control once. Now turn the scroll control clockwise to increase or counter-clockwise to decrease the squelch setting. I use a "one bar" setting on mine.

scanrrman

Yes, I know how to adjust the squelch level. My question is, compared to most other scanners, when you're setting the squelch you turn the squelch knob to break squelch. Then, you continue to turn just past the point where the noise stops and thats where you typically keep your squelch setting. On the 396t you're not breaking squelch at all when you lower your squelch level. How do you know what is a good squelch level?

Status
Not open for further replies.