396T Tone-Out question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfish

Premium Subscriber
After I "Standby" on a Station, when I press the knob on top to adjust volume, it starts scrolling through the Stations. Has anyone else noticed this?

Actually, its not the volume. When I select Standby from the Menu, it starts scrolling though the stations automaticly..so, is this supposed to happen, and does it affect the tone-out decoder?

I'm just getting started on the Tone-Out stuff, i've fiddeled with it before but never put it to use.

pfish

Premium Subscriber
I don't think the knob is broken. After playing with it some more, it only scrolls though the tone-outs that have the same frequency (154.37). When I hold on a normal conv system, it doesn't scroll through the channels.

It will only skip around within those stations, I can manually move it over to a "Test Pair" and it will stay there (using some unused frequency). UPMan?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Tone-outs with the same frequency are all monitored, so the radio shows you all the alerts that are in effect at the time.

pfish

Premium Subscriber
After playing with it, it will alert on any tone thats using the same frequency.

Thanks.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The 396 (as well as the 330, 996 and BC15) will alert on any tone set programmed as long as the freq, mode and attenuator are all identical. For example, there are 10 available tone sets to program. If you program 5 on 154.310, with "Auto" mode and no attenuator, then select one of these tone sets the radio will scan all 5 of them, ignoring programmed tone sets on any other freq, modulation or attenuator setting.

When in the Tone Standby mode the radio's display will scroll thru all the active tone sets. This really doesn't do anything operationally, as the radio will activate on ANY valid tone set hit regardless on what the display shows during the tones.

When you turn the knob during tone out standby mode the radio will cycle thru the various tone sets programmed, the tone set you stop turing the knob on is then selected and the radio will alert on any tone set that matches the freq, mode and attenuator setting for that tone set.

If you press the knob before turning it the volume display will come up and turing the knob will adjust the volume.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
Let me try it a little differently.... you can program up to 10 sets of tone out parameters, and they can be 10 sets of tones for the same system (system meaning same frequency, same attenuation, same modulation type [but not same tone A/B sets]), or they could be one set of tones for 10 completely separate FDs, or any combination of the above....

BUT- when the radio is actually actively in standby, monitoring for tones, it only monitors ONE system, but it monitors as many different tone sets (up to 10) as you have programmed with the same system parameters.

So when you select the tone out option, and press the knob and turn it, you can "scroll" through your 10 set ups, and when you see the one you actually want to monitor, press down to select it. At that point the radio screen will scroll through as many tone sets as you have programmed that match the one you selected.

I don't think its nearly as complicated as it sounds, but I have found my self "accidentally" selecting the wrong setup at times, so I have learned to pay better attention on initializing the standby mode to pick the right system

Status
Not open for further replies.