396T understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireMedic658

I'm trying to understand how to create tg/tgid's and how to program them vs sending this out to be programmed. I live in Macomb County, mi and am using past transmissions on boradicastify to get the 4 digit id's that correlate to what agency it is (e.g. 28782=Clinton Twp police.) Here is one of the pages; Talkgroups Seen on System: Michigan's Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS)

I have the primary control and alt Freq's programmed in but it won't give the agency name. When I press hold, then func+5 I get this.Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 18.29.45.pngThey blink back and forth. I believe SID means site ID but then what is the other ID? As seen above the id is 5 digits but aren't agency id's4 digits, like the Clinton Twp police above?
And when I press hold, func+4 I get this; blinking back and forth. I have no clue what wacn means. I'm frustrated but DETERMINED to get this! Thanks for the help!

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have the primary control and alt Freq's programmed in but it won't give the agency name.
You have to enter both the TGID and alpha tag (name) for talkgroups. You are lucky that Macomb County only has a single site on the MPSCS system since the 396T will only permit a single site per system. Your Broadcastify list shows 504 talkgroups, but your scanner will only accept a maximum of 200. I assume that you are programming the scanner manually since you are not a premium member. If you don't have software, you can use FreeSCAN. It is FREE! Here is the link: Downloads - Sixspot Software I have ARC396 ProScan, and FreeSCAN. Can you give me a list of the talkgroups you would like to monitor? Do you have a programming cable that will mate with the USB ports on your computer? The RS-232 cable that came with the scanner has a DB9 connector for the old serial com ports. Here is a link to the MPSCS system: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100&siteSort=county#sites

Last edited:

FireMedic658

Ok, here is the updated link.

FireMedic658

Here is my post in it's entirety.

bcd 396t understanding

I know I need to update my firmware but I'm having issues with the port recognition on my windows10 laptop. I'm not exactly sure what cable I have but I know it is usb-a to this connection on the scanner.
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 21.16.47.png
I believe this is my programming cable.
de8ef1bd-85ca-4b02-bb98-0f80880a4bb1_1.ffad94180cec21caba90d2ac9d90e9ef.jpeg
As far as sending you a list of talk groups, I'll have to get back to you with one. Just to be clear, I understand talk groups to be various agencies, correct? Clinton Twp police is one talkgroup, Sterling Heights fire another talk group, etc or is a talk group Clinton Twp police, fire, lein, tactical, etc then Sterling Heights fire, police lein, tact, etc? THANKS For your help!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Here is my post in it's entirety.

bcd 396t understanding

I know I need to update my firmware but I'm having issues with the port recognition on my windows10 laptop. I'm not exactly sure what cable I have but I know it is usb-a to this connection on the scanner.
View attachment 91637
I believe this is my programming cable.
View attachment 91638
As far as sending you a list of talk groups, I'll have to get back to you with one. Just to be clear, I understand talk groups to be various agencies, correct? Clinton Twp police is one talkgroup, Sterling Heights fire another talk group, etc or is a talk group Clinton Twp police, fire, lein, tactical, etc then Sterling Heights fire, police lein, tact, etc? THANKS For your help!
If you have one of the older Uniden USB-1 cables, that will not work with Windows 10, as there is no driver availkable for the chip used in the cable. The newer versions of the USB-1 will work with Windows 10.

FireMedic658

If you have one of the older Uniden USB-1 cables, that will not work with Windows 10, as there is no driver availkable for the chip used in the cable. The newer versions of the USB-1 will work with Windows 10.
That explains why I keep getting port errors. The newer one's won't work either? Sounds like I have to get an older os. I have a MacBook, any software I can use on that?

tvengr

Well Known Member
How old is the cable? The latest firmware is v3.02.02. Early firmware had extreme problems receiving P25 simulcast systems. You had to enter a hidden menu and take an adjustment to its limit to get the scanner to work. All of the software is for Windows. Do you have a Windows emulator on your Mac?

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to understand how to create tg/tgid's and how to program them vs sending this out to be programmed. I live in Macomb County, mi and am using past transmissions on boradicastify to get the 4 digit id's that correlate to what agency it is (e.g. 28782=Clinton Twp police.) Here is one of the pages; Talkgroups Seen on System: Michigan's Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS)

I have the primary control and alt Freq's programmed in but it won't give the agency name. When I press hold, then func+5 I get this.View attachment 91624They blink back and forth. I believe SID means site ID but then what is the other ID? As seen above the id is 5 digits but aren't agency id's4 digits, like the Clinton Twp police above?
And when I press hold, func+4 I get this; blinking back and forth. I have no clue what wacn means. I'm frustrated but DETERMINED to get this! Thanks for the help!
ID=Unit ID. SID=Site ID. These ID’s appear as numerals but you are supposed to be able to label them and call them anything you like. An example would be a unit ID of 50109 might belong to the local fire department and assigned to a ambulance. The site ID can Also be programmed to read as its physical location. The flashing back and fourth is merely the scanner’s way of showing you the identity of the particular mobile or portable unit and which site you are receiving them on. Trunking systems utilize this unique method of identification, and show on the display at dispatch and the mobile/portables the names they have assigned to them. The system has a list of acceptable ID’s and only recognizes those assigned. Or, in the case of a lost portable radio, that was found or stolen by someone who is intent on causing interference, that offending radio can be identified and remotely turned off permanently (restored later after it gets returned). In some cases it location can also be determined using GPS.

I would review the operators manual on how to label these ID’s. Sorry I can’t tell you how-it’s been too many years since I owned the BCD396T or the XT models. But I’m sure someone will offer the “How To” in another post. If not, I will research for you with my BCD996XT, the mobile/desk version of the 396. The process should be the same.
The BCD396T and XT were a big hit back in the day and still provide excellent performance. I especially appreciated the compact form factor, a full featured portable you could slip into a shirt pocket. The replacement for that radio is the BCD325P2, which also kept that form factor (almost).

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Your only a couple hours from me as I already have a Macomb setup, what appears you and many new people I've seen when they program themselves is just put in frequencies. That just gets you "in the door" at best. Way trunking works is any frequency can be used by any agency, so a frequency one second could be used for fire, then next time police, then maybe public works, etc.

My Macomb setup has 195 talkgroups for the 396T. That radio has a limit of 200 for each system.
One annoying item for that radio is if you push the SCAN button it will switch from ID Scan to ID search and vice versa.
So once you are able to get it properly programmed you would want ID SCAN so it would stop on just the talkgroups you have and not on every talkgroup - ID Search, which includes out of county talkgroups.

Way I have it setup is say for Warren, a separate group named Warren under Macomb county, then put all the Warren talkgroups there. Same for SERSEA under Macomb, so when the radio stops on one it will show at the top, Macomb County then Warren or SERSEA in this example and then below that the talkgroup text for that particular agency who is talking. I have 15 groups like that under Macomb, the radio has a limit of 20.

Look for Macomb here, quite a few talkgroups like Red Cross, investigation(encrypted) fall outside of the Macomb county section that is about 2/3's down. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100

Far as updating firmware, look here BCD396TFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Macbook, there's no software that will work on the mac for the radio.
Programming, on a windows pc, just use freescan and here is how to use it FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

Far as a programming cable, you can use this one with your existing cable that came with the 396T. I use it with windows 10 and all I had to do was just plug it in and installed perfectly and will save you a good chunk of $ over the usb1 cable.

FireMedic658

How old is the cable? The latest firmware is v3.02.02. Early firmware had extreme problems receiving P25 simulcast systems. You had to enter a hidden menu and take an adjustment to its limit to get the scanner to work. All of the software is for Windows. Do you have a Windows emulator on your Mac?
unfortunately I don't have an emulator. I'm not sure how old the cable is as I bought it all secondhand.

FireMedic658

Your only a couple hours from me as I already have a Macomb setup, what appears you and many new people I've seen when they program themselves is just put in frequencies. That just gets you "in the door" at best. Way trunking works is any frequency can be used by any agency, so a frequency one second could be used for fire, then next time police, then maybe public works, etc.

My Macomb setup has 195 talkgroups for the 396T. That radio has a limit of 200 for each system.
One annoying item for that radio is if you push the SCAN button it will switch from ID Scan to ID search and vice versa.
So once you are able to get it properly programmed you would want ID SCAN so it would stop on just the talkgroups you have and not on every talkgroup - ID Search, which includes out of county talkgroups.

Way I have it setup is say for Warren, a separate group named Warren under Macomb county, then put all the Warren talkgroups there. Same for SERSEA under Macomb, so when the radio stops on one it will show at the top, Macomb County then Warren or SERSEA in this example and then below that the talkgroup text for that particular agency who is talking. I have 15 groups like that under Macomb, the radio has a limit of 20.

Look for Macomb here, quite a few talkgroups like Red Cross, investigation(encrypted) fall outside of the Macomb county section that is about 2/3's down. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100

Far as updating firmware, look here BCD396TFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Macbook, there's no software that will work on the mac for the radio.
Programming, on a windows pc, just use freescan and here is how to use it FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

Far as a programming cable, you can use this one with your existing cable that came with the 396T. I use it with windows 10 and all I had to do was just plug it in and installed perfectly and will save you a good chunk of $ over the usb1 cable.
THANK YOU very much Ronaldski for all you help as well as everyone else. You guys are very knowledgeable in the ways if the scanner "force!" I really appreciate your time and efforts!

Status
Not open for further replies.