396T - Will future firmware have 996 improvements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketNJ

The new 996 has the ability to slave channels and talkgroups as either analog, digital, or auto. Initial reports are the "motorboating" sound is no longer an issue.

Paul, is Uniden going to attempt to incorporate these changes into a future 396 firmware enhancement? I know there is no guarantee that it will happen but would be nice to know if this is being investigated.

Also, I see the new beta ARC396 is making provisions for "future multi-site operation". Hmmm :)

Thanks,
Dave

MacombMonitor

I would think the BCD396T is about all it can be at this point. Many of the improvements, and modifications users inquire about can not be done in firmware. As for hardware...it is, what it is.

Keep in mind the BCD996T has a lot more room for additional, and improved hardware, as well as allowing the design to be more flexible in component placement, and separation.

RocketNJ

Yes. memory size will restrict what can be done.

I sure hope Uniden can eliminate the "motorboating" sound when the scanner stops on a digital talkgroup. It is VERY annoying.

cipher66

ARTCC DB Manager
Database Admin
As far as 996 features that I would LOVE to see implemented on the 396T, I think that the "display 2" that ScanCapeCod talks about in his review would be awesome! I mostly listen to conventional systems, and especially where Aero channels are concerned, I have to put the freq in with the channel name, which of course leads to less descriptive info on the screen. For example, I now have: ZBW>CAPE18 290.3 where I could have: ZBW>CAPE18-H/UHF (with the 290.3000 showing just below it).

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
If you already have it programmed in, why do you need it in the alpha tag? You can always FUNC-5 to remind yourself if necessary.

800crazy1

even if we had to pay for the improvements , id be willing to shell out some cash ! (well depending of cours on cost)

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Function-Hold would be nice so we can actually use the Trunked Activity dispaly for more than 5 seconds.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
FUNCTION Hold

FUNCTION hold:

Just a note. Third-party software seems to make use of Function hold on the 396. When I click "Function," the software holds the Function button. So it appears it is in there somewhere latent.

I still say that "Close Call DND" is sorely needed and should be a number one priority as an update, followed by the Funtion hold issue.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

hotdjdave said:
Third-party software seems to make use of Function hold on the 396. When I click "Function," the software holds the Function button. So it appears it is in there somewhere latent.
The serial control protocol supports the pressing and holding of any key, just like your fingers do.

The Func hold functionality that we're looking for is quite different.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Oh

slicerwizard said:
The serial control protocol supports the pressing and holding of any key, just like your fingers do.

The Func hold functionality that we're looking for is quite different.
Oh, I didn't know that. So can it be done?

John_M

Uniden may be able to incorperate a few of the 996t's features into the 396t.
What surprises me is that the AGC tweaking is a hidden feature in the 996t. I thought that it would be in the menu.

TenRingMike

There are several improvements that could be made to the 396 via firmware, but if only one had to be chosen, IMO it should be multi-site trunking. I say this based on 1) the number of users that are affected or will be in the next couple of years vs. the fact that the 396 is still relatively new, and 2) the complexity of maintaining talkgroup data in many duplicated systems relative to the ease of adding the feature to the radio and it's high initial purchase price.

In other words, people spent well over $500 for a "state of the art" scanner, in part so that they'd be protected, at least for awhile, from the problems of rebanding, etc. Uniden knew about mult-site systems before or early in the 396 design. If the literature/packaging made it clear that mult-site trunking was not going to be supported, then so be it. But as it is people are spending major dollars for a radio that won't scan some of the major systems in their areas without making use of what is in my opinion a very stupid workaround.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It's really not that stupid or confusing... Multi-site systems have always been with us, and the Uniden line never supported it until the 996.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
My choice for an update would be the P25 Audio Only for conventional. With a significant number of organizations going P25 over conventional, and more RF users than ever, Intermod kills the radio here in certain parts of Houston because I have channels that I have no P/L on because it's P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.