396T with UASD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

scandan780

Just bought a used 396t off of ebay. The person sent a usb cable with the scanner. I downloaded the uasd software and pl-2303 driver for usb? In the software i only have 2 settings com1 and com3 (my laptop has 1 serial port), but i'm using the usb cable. When i select com1 i get "communication error! Please check scanner remote settings". When i select com3 i get "This scanner model is not supported". I have tried all the baud rate settings in software and scanner. Can someone please help me with this? Thank you!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The PL2303 drivers are only appropriate for the USB-1 cable from Uniden. If you are using a different USB adapter, then you need to unload the PL2303 drivers and load the correct drivers for your adapter.

scandan780

i went to the scannermaster site and the uniden usb cable that they have does not look like the one i was sent with the scanner. Since i have no idea what the make of this usb cable is, i guess i have to order a cable.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
scandan780 said:
i went to the scannermaster site and the uniden usb cable that they have does not look like the one i was sent with the scanner. Since i have no idea what the make of this usb cable is, i guess i have to order a cable.
Did he not provide the cable that came with the radio? It comes (as originally shipped) with a Serial Cable and since you said your computer has a serial port, use it.

pinellasfirefighter

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
scandan do not order another one.. i have an extra one if you need it... i got more usb cables from uniden than i know what to do with..

Al42

The only 2 cables that fit the 396 are the Uniden-supplied serial cable and the Uniden-supplied USB cable. How are you connecting this USB cable, which probably has a 9 pin D-connector on the non-USB end, to the scanner?

When you connect the USB cable to the computer (after you've removed the PL2303 driver), the computer should tell you that it found new hardware. If you follow the new hardware wizard that will come up, one of the choices will be to search the internet for the appropriate driver. Let it do that. The current onternet-available driver will usually work with the scanner.

scandan780

Gill, thanks for the offer but i just read your post this morning(7/16/2006 6:45am) and i ordered the serial cable from uniden yesterday afternoon. Thanks for the offer.

scandan780

Al42, the usb cable that was supplied to me has 2 connections, 1 at each end with a straight cable between the connectors, 1 fits the 396 and the other the usb to the computer. I did try it before i used the pl drivers and got no new hardware found. I did order a serial cable from uniden yesterday. i will try again today this afternoon with the usb cable, maybe rebooting my laptop will help. Thank you all for your help! RR is a great place with many helpful people.

UKscanner

pinellasfirefighter said:
scandan do not order another one.. i have an extra one if you need it... i got more usb cables from uniden than i know what to do with..

I'm in the UK and just bought a BCT3500XLT (the europian version of the 396), which doesn't come with a pc cable. To buy one is gonna cost me about $50 over here (plus another 50 for the butel software).
I think the usb cables you mention would fit. Any chance you could send me one. I could paypal you the postage costs.
Best wishes from England..............

Status
Not open for further replies.