396xt and 996xt dropping custom bandplans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfr454

I listen to Waterbury on a 996T, programmed with Freescan including the custom band plan and have never experienced a problem.
Audio is very clear.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I listen to Waterbury on a 996T, programmed with Freescan including the custom band plan and have never experienced a problem.
Audio is very clear.

I'm glad you chimed in, what I found is the T-series radios let you manually set a bandplan and apparently ignore any OTA bandplan information. As opposed to the XT-series which will let you manually enter bandplan info but it will be overwritten if it sees any OTA bandplan info.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
This "seems" to be isolated to EFJ infrastructure. I bet the scanner is interpreting something on the CC incorrectly as a "bandplan", which causes you radios to rewrite the internal bandplan.

That's a good point and now makes me wonder if this occurs more for those with imperfect reception where the CC data may be partially missing some of the time and the radio overwrites the bandplan data with what it thinks is correct.
If it stays on the CC, you would think it should self correct in the same way it self erred but if you also lose the CC, then I guess you are SOL until you notice it!
I'm not positive but if there is a way of doing CRC checks on the CC data, that would stop this problem as the radio could be told to ignore the CC data with bad CRC's that contain any bandplan data.
Anyone know if Uniden does any type of error detection/correction with the XT models?
I suppose one with this problem could always roll back to a slightly older FW and see if the problem goes away.
I think there is older FW that will still handled rebanded systems correctly but I could be wrong.

talkpair

What I find bizarre is that back on 5/15/2013, cg posted this:

cg said:
Waterbury's new P25 system is online with most departments going over to it by the end of the day. PD may be delayed until a future date.

Band plan is: BASE 851.0625, STEP 6.25KHz

"00-0044","av",851.33750,"00-0044",806.33750,0,45
"00-0084","v",851.58750,"00-0084",806.58750,0,3
"00-0168","c",852.11250,"00-0168",807.11250,0,0
"00-0294","v",852.90000,"00-0294",807.90000,0,7
"00-0414","v",853.65000,"00-0414",808.65000,1,40
Reference: http://forums.radioreference.com/co...aterbury-new-p25-system-line.html#post1970090

This looks like a Tower.txt file generated by Pro96Com.
If the site isn't transmitting a band plan, then how were these frequencies calculated?

Either the site has quit transmitting the band plan, or the Unidens aren't picking it up.
Early on in the thread however, it seems known that a custom plan needs to be entered.

I wonder if someone could wipe out their old Tower.txt file for this system and use Pro96Com to generate a more current Tower.txt file?

chipsgto

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad you chimed in, what I found is the T-series radios let you manually set a bandplan and apparently ignore any OTA bandplan information. As opposed to the XT-series which will let you manually enter bandplan info but it will be overwritten if it sees any OTA bandplan info.

Oh joy! The radio out thinks the owner!!!! Made a number of attempts to upload Waterbury. Funny thing the 'reception bars' show something is active but no audio. When I scroll through the info uploaded it is all the same as what I have found in the various posts regarding the band plans, TGID etc.

Jeff

jfr454

I was able to test on my 396XT & 996T recently. 396XT programming seems to have held. After monitoring, I downloaded the system into FreeScan and the custom band plan settings have remained as programmed.

chipsgto

Premium Subscriber
Response from Uniden re Waterbury, CT issue

Your Question:
Will there be any updates to help those of us who've recently purchased a 996XT so it will be as user friendly as your new models? Very disappointed the 996XT is so complicated to use and is not compatible with some of the local PD/FD trunked transmissions. Ex. Waterbury CT. I have to use my computer to listen in. Thanks for listening, hope something can be done to support us 996XT owners out here in the cold. Jeff

Our Solution:
Thank you for using our system.
Unfortunately there does not appear to be any planned updates to make the XT model scanners similar to the new HP models. Now the system that Waterbury is a system that the BCD996XT would be able to support but may have some intermittent audio issues as it is operating on a simulcast site. The best thing to do when trying to listen to simulcast sites, the best thing you can try to do is deactivate the t analog systems and turn the squelch to zero. Also, relocating the radio closer to a window when used in doors can also have an impact on picking up their transmissions.

Sincerely,

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Oh joy! The radio out thinks the owner!!!! Made a number of attempts to upload Waterbury. Funny thing the 'reception bars' show something is active but no audio. When I scroll through the info uploaded it is all the same as what I have found in the various posts regarding the band plans, TGID etc.

Jeff

I think having "reception bars" but no audio would be most likely a "simulcast" problem not a "band plan problem" as an incorrect band plan should normally result in no reception.

Does this make any sense?

jercov

Premium Subscriber
Band Plan

I notice that Waterbury's control channel changed from 851.9000 to 851.3375 and I have lost the band plan about six times in the last three or four days (on two separate scanners, thought not at the same time). The scanner also takes a longer time picking up transmissions on this new control channel.

chipsgto

Premium Subscriber
I notice that Waterbury's control channel changed from 851.9000 to 851.3375 and I have lost the band plan about six times in the last three or four days (on two separate scanners, thought not at the same time). The scanner also takes a longer time picking up transmissions on this new control channel.

I've been listening on the computer, the WTBY transmission leaves a lot to be desired. Many times
unreadable, to the point the dispatch is asking for repeats of the transmission. Lot of action though.
Have to high jack the thread, I am very disappointed in the 996xt and the complexity of the unit and that Uniden is not going to support the scanner with upgrades! Want you to plunk down another $600 for the new release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We're still not sure what is happening, here. Under study, but it isn't reliably duplicatable (which makes it very difficult to diagnose). It is on the radar...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Two questions:

1) When it is tracking, what shows as the band plan?
2) When it stops tracking, what shows as the band plan?

chipsgto

Premium Subscriber
I made a change to the new frequency mentioned. Not sure if I did
it correctly but have the radio alongside the computer, on line reception
is buzzing away while nothing on the radio.

jercov

Premium Subscriber
When the scanner is tracking with the correct band plan the number is 851.0625 with a step of 6.25.

When it stops scanning and you go to the "edit band plan" screen, it becomes something like 335.xxxx with a different step. It is always that 335.xxxx number. This has happened to me four to five times in the last week on my 996XTand about twice on the 396XT.

I keep reading about upper and lower band plans, and offsets, but I don't seem to know where to enter this in a P25 system on the scanner.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, I will pass that to the engineers, but not sure if they'll be able to do anything with it. Really need complete and specific information for every slot in the band plan table when tracking properly and when tracking stops.

jercov

Premium Subscriber
Next time it happens I will get you the exact number. Does the P25 setting allow you to enter an upper and lower band plan? Or is that what all the band plan slots are for? Am I supposed to put in more than one band plan?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There is one band plan, but there are multiple slots (the slots comprise the total band plan). Each slot for a P25 entry is comprised of a frequency and a step.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening on the computer, the WTBY transmission leaves a lot to be desired. Many times
unreadable, to the point the dispatch is asking for repeats of the transmission. Lot of action though.
Have to high jack the thread, I am very disappointed in the 996xt and the complexity of the unit and that Uniden is not going to support the scanner with upgrades! Want you to plunk down another $600 for the new release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff

Just a little info and you may already know about this but the Waterbury radio system still has it's issues where the dispatchers cannot pick up a transmission from a firefighter or police officer. And vise versa ,every so often for instance a firefighter say the radio is not picking up a transmission and Iinalso hear radio service in occasion come on the system and do radio checks and they also gontonthevtower sites,so it may not always be an issue with the scanner. Just sayin.....I have the 396 and 996 xts and once in awhile it drops the band pons and sometimes I can't pick up a transmission

chipsgto

Premium Subscriber
This interesting and seems to get more complex every time I read about this. Disappointing to say the least it has to be so complicated. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.