396XT and GPS on a Road Trip - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosemedic

So, I see that there is a GPS option on the 396.

I'm driving across most of the country (I-70 and I-90 mostly)

I know that I can program systems and such with a GPS range. Is this worth doing on a 396? I ask because it would seem to be self limiting anyway. I just want to listen in as a I drive along. So wouldn't it normally only pick up things "within range"

What is the advantage of enabling GPS locating?

phask

Premium Subscriber
On a longer trip it will load and drop as you transit.

Gross example - load Ohio, then transit to Indiana - loads IN and drops Ohio.

That's a very gross example and it has much more granularity than that.

IMHO - it takes way too much time and pre-planning to load for a major trip. That;s the advantage of the HP type.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
By way of explanation this article from our wiki goes into great detail (along with numerous links to other articles in both our and Uniden's wiki) into what location based scanning is, planning for it and how to use our database and interpret the coordinates and coverage shown there

Location Based Scanning - The RadioReference Wiki

There's also a section on this topic in the Easier to Read manual

HTH...Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've made any number of road trips with GPS enabled scanning and I truly love it!

What I do is assign my "local" systems to certain system quick keys. My "on the road" systems are assigned to other system quick keys, usually based on the state.

When I'm home, I disable/turn off the "on the road" system quick keys, leaving only those "home/local" system quick keys enabled/turned on. Then when I hit the road, the "home/local" system quick keys are disabled/turned off (so I'm not scanning something I won't hear) and the "road" system quick keys are enabled/turned on.

A word of caution, however. Some states outlaw scanners in motor vehicles unless you are licensed as an amateur radio operator or have certain permits. So you may want to do some research prior to your trip to see whether this will be an issue for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.