396XT and USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

modulation

While I'm ordering other accessories, it's time to get a USB/Serial converter for my 396XT. I haven't been able to program since my last serial port equipped computer went to the electronics recycler.

Will any generic USB/Serial adapters work besides the pricey Uniden USB-1 cable, which may or may not work with Windows 10?

I also have a USB GPS puck that I'd like to connect to the 'XT. Sure wish Uniden had discovered USB by 2009!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Will any generic USB/Serial adapters work besides the pricey Uniden USB-1 cable, which may or may not work with Windows 10?

The currently sold Uniden USB-1 cable will definitely work with WIN10.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The big concern with USB/Serial adapters is that it has the HXD chipset. The older HXA chipset became obsolete with Windows 8 and later.

BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL DRIVERS before connecting the USB/Serial adapter to avoid headaches later!!

From the Uniden BCD 396XT Complete Reference manual:

GPS Compatibility*
Compatible GPS units output location data that conforms to NMEA-0183 v3.01. The scanner uses the GGA
and RMC sentences as defined by that specification. Note that this standard specifies an RS232 serial
connection. GPS units that have USB connectivity are not compatible with this scanner.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The big concern with USB/Serial adapters is that it has the HXD chipset. The older HXA chipset became obsolete with Windows 8 and later.

The cable I suggested works great with Windows 10.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
The last time I installed a serial/usb converter there was some hazardous BIOS programming/modification to do.
Are the newer converters pretty much plug and go or is there fun set up to sweat through?
Always afraid of bricking my PC. Thx.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The last time I installed a serial/usb converter there was some hazardous BIOS programming/modification to do.
Are the newer converters pretty much plug and go or is there fun set up to sweat through?
Always afraid of bricking my PC. Thx.
I have used the suggested adapter for years on Windows 10 and have never had a problem with any software or scanner.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I use a Tripp Lite USA-19HS adapter for my 396 with a cheap laptop and it worked without any software install with Windows 10.
They sell them on Amazon for $28.79, I also use it for security system programming.
I use FreeSCAN for the actual programming of the 396.

Status
Not open for further replies.