396xt and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc4elv

Cant get computer to talk to scanner via serial adapter. Have verified com port speed etc thru device mgr.
Any issues with Vista?

DCMon

I use Vista

Cant get computer to talk to scanner via serial adapter. Have verified com port speed etc thru device mgr.
Any issues with Vista?

I use Vista 64 bit and the usb conversion cable with my 396XT. I tried the Uniden program and didn't get anything. I am currently using Freescan and it works just fine. Good Luck!

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
I have been using mine via a USB port, first via a serial --> USB adapter, then via the USB-1 cable from Uniden and no problems so far. You might want to try a serial --> USB adapter, but be careful, as some of those are junk. Radio Shack has one that works great, and your local store should have one in stock. If you decide to go for the Uniden USB-1, just remember to download the new drivers for it available at Uniden.com. Good luck!

Last edited:

nyscan00

Premium Subscriber
Im also encountering the same problem with a similar uniden scanner. Im running vista and need to get a USB to Serial adapter but From what I understand It wont work with 16BIT vista... How do i know what version Im using 16 or 32 or 64 BIT??

Thank you

rvictor

Im also encountering the same problem with a similar uniden scanner. Im running vista and need to get a USB to Serial adapter but From what I understand It wont work with 16BIT vista... How do i know what version Im using 16 or 32 or 64 BIT??

Thank you

I don't know which Vista you're running, but you can be sure that it isn't 16 bit as Vista is only available as 32 or 64 bit.

Dick

Flatshovel

I have the same problem with my 396XT and Vista. I have freescan loaded on my computer and when I try to get it to read or write to the radio I constantly get a error message stating that a communications error has occurred. What works for me is that I have to keep hitting the ok button on the error and just keep clciking on the start download or upload button several times. Of course doing this leads back to the error message again and again. Funny however that about after the 5 or 6 time of doing that it will connect and communicate with no issues. I have been just putting up with this on my computer and so far it has been working and I am using the serial adapter on the motherboard.

To help answer nyscan00 question about how to find out which version of Vista he is running try following these steps.

If you have the my computer Icon on the desktop of your screen, right click it and then go down to properties, and the screen should load and will tell you which version of Vista you have and tell you if it is 32bit or 64bit as well. Hope that helps.

nyscan00

Premium Subscriber
Found an adapter on ebay that works very well with vista 32BIT. The seller included the vista drive rand after installing the driver I'm able to connect all my COM devices through my USB port.
Works very well. Search for " USB to RS232 Serial DB9 9 Pin Cable Adapter/Converter " on ebay price was about $7. Very impressed.

Vulcancruiser

Only high end gamers are interested in 64bit Vista, since it allows you to run more ram than the garden variety 32bit Vista. If you have a garden variety computer and didn't pay extra for your Vista version you have 32bit.

rvictor

My observation was that it became more common for the garden variety computers to come loaded with 64 bit Vista just as they now seem to be mostly 64 bit Windows 7. I'd therefore suggest using the procedure described in post #7 to find out for sure.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.