396XT band plan self loading with weird frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB5ID

I've been having trouble with my 396XT loading a variety of strange frequencies in the band plan settings which stops reception of P25 systems.

The scenario is:
I make a programming change to a conventional system and then P25 systems fill their band plans with vhf and UHF frequencies causing the P25 systems to go quiet.

Thanks for any help,
Steve

marksmith

Are you doing these changes directly in the radio, or is this related to freescan or some software.

Never had this issue. To fix, just delete the band plan under p25, but I don't think this is a universal problem with 396xt.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

AB5ID

Are you doing these changes directly in the radio, or is this related to freescan or some software.

Never had this issue. To fix, just delete the band plan under p25, but I don't think this is a universal problem with 396xt.

Mark
I've used a combination of Freescan and manual programming. I delete the band plan entries only to have them reappear if I make *any* programing changes. The band plan entries show up on all systems

teufler

I asked about the Bandplan setting a couple of years ago. I was advised that ther radio generated that information, as it does not come down withg radio reference. To check, generate a new frequency list through RR. Before you load to the4 radio, go to a p25 system, check frequency list, then the bandplan tab. Its all "0's". Send to the scanner and run the scanner for awhile, then read the scanner, again check the p25 stems, frequency then bandplan. The numbers are there, same for the p25 systems in my area. Doesn't matter, 800 or vhf, same band plan is generated. I have not noticed any degradation of signal.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've been having trouble with my 396XT loading a variety of strange frequencies in the band plan settings which stops reception of P25 systems.

The scenario is:
I make a programming change to a conventional system and then P25 systems fill their band plans with vhf and UHF frequencies causing the P25 systems to go quiet.

Thanks for any help,
Steve
Which system are you entering as conventional? For a conventional system, there is no place to add a band plan.

By chance, are you trying to enter MOSWIN? That is a trunked system, which, if created as trunked (not conventional) would auto-fill bandplan data. Entering that as conventional, you might hear some transmissions, but it would not follow conversations, and would stop on the control channel. While that system is described in the database as "P25 Phase II", it looks like all talkgroups (except for those that are encrypted, and not monitorable anyway) are shown as Phase I, as per the letter B in the mode column. MARRS is a P25 Phase I system.

You might save your configuration via software such as FreeSCAN, then attach it to a post.

marksmith

I asked about the Bandplan setting a couple of years ago. I was advised that ther radio generated that information, as it does not come down withg radio reference. To check, generate a new frequency list through RR. Before you load to the4 radio, go to a p25 system, check frequency list, then the bandplan tab. Its all "0's". Send to the scanner and run the scanner for awhile, then read the scanner, again check the p25 stems, frequency then bandplan. The numbers are there, same for the p25 systems in my area. Doesn't matter, 800 or vhf, same band plan is generated. I have not noticed any degradation of signal.
I believe that rebanded Motorola systems downloaded from RR to freescan DO include the bandplans, as they are needed to monitor those systems.

Generally, p25 systems control channels make bandplans unnecessary.

Mark

AB5ID

Which system are you entering as conventional? For a conventional system, there is no place to add a band plan.

By chance, are you trying to enter MOSWIN? That is a trunked system, which, if created as trunked (not conventional) would auto-fill bandplan data. Entering that as conventional, you might hear some transmissions, but it would not follow conversations, and would stop on the control channel. While that system is described in the database as "P25 Phase II", it looks like all talkgroups (except for those that are encrypted, and not monitorable anyway) are shown as Phase I, as per the letter B in the mode column. MARRS is a P25 Phase I system.

You might save your configuration via software such as FreeSCAN, then attach it to a post.
I have different systems on different quick keys. My conventional system is on quick key 3. And yes! I have MOSWIN on quick key 0. When I manually add or remove a channel to my conventional system, my p25 systems load up frequencies in the band plan settings.
I may have to reset the radio and start fresh?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the offer. I will try and get it connected to the computer today or tomorrow. I'm probably fat fingered something while doing stuff manually.
The file extension for FreeSCAN, *.996, is not valid to attach to a post. However, there are a couple of workarounds to get that done.

For illustration purposes, let's say that you save it as Myfile.996 in FreeSCAN. To be able to upload it, simply rename the file to either Myfile.996.txt or Myfile.txt. Then you'll be able to attach it to a post. Whoever downloads the file then renames back to Myfile.996 for opening in FreeSCAN.

The other method is to zip (compress) the file with a file utility such as WinZip or the free 7-Zip. You can then attach the resulting file (Myfile.zip) to a post.

I suspect that somewhere when creating the file, either on the PC or in software, something was set wrong. The advantage of using software is that you can readily see all the information at one time, instead of trying to step through multiple menus on the scanner. Once you can post the file, I'll take a look at it, as I'm sure some other members will as well. We'll get you back on the right path.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Hello to a fellow Missouri scanner person!

How do you have your systems set up? I ask because you only need the local MOSWIN tower's frequencies to make it snappy.

If you load up one system with several tower frequencies it will slow it down dramatically. You can always create different quick keys to load and unload systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.