396XT battery indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
For the 396X, is there a way to keep the battery indicator visible? Seems like it only shows when battery life remaining is short. I see that I can push down on the selector knob to see the current voltage. That would be great, but, I would like it to be visible all the time. Why would Uniden make this a secret that you have to dig for. Thanx all.

paul612

Premium Subscriber
If you found it its not really a secret. If you want to display the voltage all the time that will also decrease your battery time.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
The secret part is "displaying all the time". The additional electrons this minor part of the overall display would use are less than negligible. I began looking because twice in the last week I rolled out with no indication of low battery only to have the unit die a relatively short time later (as I heard the house siren for my station blowing I realized that my 396 was no longer on); strangely, I could swear I didn't hear the low battery chirps this time. hmmm.

scanningisfun

The secret part is "displaying all the time". The additional electrons this minor part of the overall display would use are less than negligible. I began looking because twice in the last week I rolled out with no indication of low battery only to have the unit die a relatively short time later (as I heard the house siren for my station blowing I realized that my 396 was no longer on); strangely, I could swear I didn't hear the low battery chirps this time. hmmm.

Try turning your key beep volume up. I have mine on 12. I think its impossible to make the voltage indicator stay on all of the time. Just periodically check your voltage. The low battery beeps start to happen between 3.50-3.55 volts. The unit shuts off at around 3.38-3.40 volts.

Jacob

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Thanx for the info. Seems to me it "was" loud enough to be annoying a few weeks ago, but, that was then and this is now. I'll take a look. Thanx for the stats on the voltages.

scanningisfun

Thanx for the info. Seems to me it "was" loud enough to be annoying a few weeks ago, but, that was then and this is now. I'll take a look. Thanx for the stats on the voltages.

Let me amend my earlier post. There is a way to see the voltage indicator all the time; not that you would need it. You have to go into the P25 adjust threshold mode and the approximate voltage the batteries are putting out will stay in the top right corner.

Jacob

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Let me amend my earlier post. There is a way to see the voltage indicator all the time; not that you would need it. You have to go into the P25 adjust threshold mode and the approximate voltage the batteries are putting out will stay in the top right corner.

Jacob
Are we talking "Adjusting the P25 Level" ? As in pg 81, Menu/Program System/Select system/Edit Sys Option/Adjust P25 Level ? I tried Manual and Default; I don't see the voltage showing.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Thanx for the link. Looks like this leaves up the diagnostic type screen, but, the voltage does indeed stay up.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
So after I go to that screen and get the voltage to remain face-up via this method (thanx), are you thinking there is a way to have the voltage remain visible with "the usual" remainder of the display showing? It was late when I was playing. I crashed.

scanningisfun

So after I go to that screen and get the voltage to remain face-up via this method (thanx), are you thinking there is a way to have the voltage remain visible with "the usual" remainder of the display showing? It was late when I was playing. I crashed.

Going into the threshold mode is the only way to do what you want. You will not be able to see the quick keys but will be able to see the battery voltage all of the time. Personally, I would just periodically check what voltage you are at so you know when you need to charge.

Jacob

Last edited:

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, going full circle, so long as I can see the voltage "at will", a push of the knob. That will suffice. Thanks for the collective head-scratching guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.