396XT Battery Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I am planning on picking up a 396XT portable. I get conflicting reports from people who say it is a battery hog and some say it is not. I am going to use it mainly to monitor the CT. State Police 800 Mhz. digital system and nothing else, as I have 2 other portable scanners for analog monitoring. I use 2700 Mah batteries. I welcome your comments on the subject as it will help me make my decision.

Manny

Last edited:

lep

My experience has been about 8 hours of monitoring before the "warning" (and it IMHOP is factory set too sensitive).

Danny6569

396 xt

The 396 xt does not go crazy on batteries, use the 2700 rechargeables in it and you will be fine, around 8 to 10 hours at a time you will get from it!!!

kd8x

The 396 xt does not go crazy on batteries, use the 2700 rechargeables in it and you will be fine, around 8 to 10 hours at a time you will get from it!!!

same results here also 8 to 10 hours on a charge

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I have the Enerloop batteries that are low self-discharge "Hybrid" types. They're around 2100mAh so not the highest in capacity, but they can sit for weeks and not loose any charge. I can easily get 12 hours of on and off listening on a regular 396, I can't imagine the XT being much different.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Guys!
After reading all your replies, I went ahead and picked one up! So far so good! The 2700s are working very well! Thanks to all who replied! I will do as I always do and carry a spare set around with me as back up! So far it's only been 3 hours of steady use with no problems!..

Manny.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
So far, so good!

Hey Tom!
It's working really good on the CSP. A minor issue with some locking up on certain troop frequencies but I have a friend working on the problem. The digital audio is awesome. I will have it with me at the Nutmeg Hamfest on October 9th. Now that I know that some good batteries will go a long way with this radio, I am more than satisfied with my purchase. So far, my 2700s are holding up very well!

Manny

scannersnstuff

manny. same as just about everyone else said. keep in mind, for some reason 800 mhz.monitoring seem's to drain the batteries quicker.

nanZor

I would try to use the 2700's on a daily basis and not keep a spare pack of them sitting around for longer than a week. The tradeoff for the high capacity is a higher amount of self-discharge as the materials are thinner inside.

Most photographers that use the 2700's try to use them the day they are charged - otherwise if they are idle for a week or more, you are really using 2500's or lower due the high rate of self-discharge.

Also, how are you charging them? If you are charging them in the 396 (not recommended), then 16 hours at the max of the 396's limit, may not be enough to fully charge them anyway - that along with the self-discharge could be an issue.

Just something to look out for....

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I would try to use the 2700's on a daily basis and not keep a spare pack of them sitting around for longer than a week. The tradeoff for the high capacity is a higher amount of self-discharge as the materials are thinner inside.

Most photographers that use the 2700's try to use them the day they are charged - otherwise if they are idle for a week or more, you are really using 2500's or lower due the high rate of self-discharge.

Also, how are you charging them? If you are charging them in the 396 (not recommended), then 16 hours at the max of the 396's limit, may not be enough to fully charge them anyway - that along with the self-discharge could be an issue.

Just something to look out for....

Funny you say that comment about photographers, because I happen to be one. I am using the 2700s that I would normally use on my Nikon flash. I keep a spare pack with me because the way I use my scanners, I go through battery changes about every day and a half so there really is no sitting around time. As far as charging goes, I NEVER charge internally. Can't and won't take the risk with a radio THIS expensive. I do appreciate the good advice!

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
manny. same as just about everyone else said. keep in mind, for some reason 800 mhz.monitoring seem's to drain the batteries quicker.

Yeah, I noticed that! Well, I am only using it to monitor one digital system, nothing analog, so it shouldn't be too bad!

Manny

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
Just a quick Question about charging the batteries, I see you saying "charge the batteries for 16 hrs". Is this initially, or all the time, and why??? My charger charges for about two hrs, (full charge) and then trickles to keep them topped off untill you remove them. If the batteries are at full charge why would i want to leave them on for 16 hrs. also at just two hrs they are rather hot, I can't immaging what 16 hrs would do to them...

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Just a quick Question about charging the batteries, I see you saying "charge the batteries for 16 hrs". Is this initially, or all the time, and why??? My charger charges for about two hrs, (full charge) and then trickles to keep them topped off untill you remove them. If the batteries are at full charge why would i want to leave them on for 16 hrs. also at just two hrs they are rather hot, I can't immaging what 16 hrs would do to them...

16 hours only applies to those who (gulp!) charge the batteries internally or inside the scanner. This is a practice that most scanners should and do stay away from. With all the different choices available today for external chargers and some with battery conditioners, there really is no reason why anyone should have to continue to take the risk of internal charging. The way you are charging your batteries is fine.

Manny

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
The 16 hour charge in the scanner must be at a lower rate than your charger that only takes two hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.