396XT custom search vs. scan speeds (conventional)

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
So, I'm looking to search the 763-960 range for unknown frequencies. I'm wondering if the 396XT's "custom search" mode is faster than scanning through a sorted list of individual frequencies within the relevant range (programmed in multiple systems in blocks of 1000)? Custom search mode only allows 250 permanent frequency lockouts, but I need at least 450. Any thoughts on this?

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
If you know ahead of time if most of the frequencies you want to avoid are close together, you may be able to create multiple search lists. For example, let's say there are "problem" frequencies between 780 and 795. You can create a list that goes from 763-779 and another one that goes from 796-960, then scan those. This way you will not even scan over most of the “problem” frequencies, and you may be able to lock-out less frequencies.

Of course, if the “problem” frequencies are scattered throughout your search range then you may be SOL and will need to do something else, problem is I don’t know what…..

wtp

cut down more

do you have to scan the inputs?
even a car in your own town may not have enough power for you to hear it.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the suggestions. With Excel and Filemaker I was able to create 13 systems with 999 frequencies each (Freescan has a limit of 999), for a little over 12,000 frequencies total. The biggest downside is you can't scan through multiple systems at once, even with separate quick keys. Each system needs a separate quick key, and you have to scan each system one at a time. However, it seems to run about the same speed as compared to search mode. Within less than an hour I've already found two "unknown" LTR systems, so it's working pretty well so far...:p

wtp

what i do on my 396t

i set custom search 1 for 153.74 to 156.24 and custom 10 for 158.73 to 159.5
set search with scan in to a new system (found channels)
let it go all night and see what it finds
you could set up 10 search ranges for what you are trying
it won't load duplicates because it checks for them.

LIScanner101

i set custom search 1 for 153.74 to 156.24 and custom 10 for 158.73 to 159.5
set search with scan in to a new system (found channels)
let it go all night and see what it finds
you could set up 10 search ranges for what you are trying
it won't load duplicates because it checks for them.

What happens if it comes across noise/data/paging etc and locks up on that channel in the middle of the night? Is there a way to force the scanner to either avoid that, or keep scanning after a certain time period?

wtp

even better

they just log the hit and just keep going, the only thing is that you can't hear anything. but that is a bonus at night. in the morning i go through the ones it has and listen for problems. so like searching 162-174 the freq 162.4 just shows up once and it can log pl tone

Last edited:

LIScanner101

they just log the hit and just keep going, the only thing is that you can't hear anything. but that is a bonus at night. in the morning i go through the ones it has and listen for problems.

Oh, I didn't know that! That's a pretty cool feature! I gotta give that a try. Thanks.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
What happens if it comes across noise/data/paging etc and locks up on that channel in the middle of the night? Is there a way to force the scanner to either avoid that, or keep scanning after a certain time period?

Set a negative delay time (-2,-5,-10) for systems or searches and it will resume after that time period even if there is still a signal.

LIScanner101

Set a negative delay time (-2,-5,-10) for systems or searches and it will resume after that time period even if there is still a signal.

Good point, I never use negative delays as I always use my scanners 'live" and want to be able to hear everything, but for overnight recording it's a good idea. Thanks.

wtp

myself

i had the radio about a year before i saw this. i was more concerned about just getting it to work (i am a crystal kind of guy).
just like some folks don't know that you can turn on multiple systems and listen to cops and cb without making it a system
396t does not have murs with frs grms so i just made a system (walmart) for listening.
around the mall here it comes in hand

Status
Not open for further replies.