396XT Earpiece??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderblue

Is there a good earpiece, earbud, that will work with radio. I don't want to where a big headset at the race track as they can too hot. Maybe a single earpiece that has a type that has a clipon over the ear??

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I cannot tell from the listing, but be sure that the 3.5mm plug is a stereo plug, not mono. If mono, it will short out 1/2 of the audio amplifier.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I cannot tell from the listing, but be sure that the 3.5mm plug is a stereo plug, not mono. If mono, it will short out 1/2 of the audio amplifier.
I suppose the same caution for the 996? The external speaker jack is mono; correct?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Headphone jack is a stereo jack.
Ext. Speaker jack is a mono jack.

There is no issue plugging a stereo plug into a mono jack. You'll just have silence in one ear if listening on earbuds. It doesn't short out anything in the scanner.

But, DO NOT PLUG EARBUDS into the Ext. Sp. jack. It provides enough power to blow the earbud out (through your eardrum if you are wearing it at the time).

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
Headphone jack is a stereo jack.
Ext. Speaker jack is a mono jack.

There is no issue plugging a stereo plug into a mono jack. You'll just have silence in one ear if listening on earbuds. It doesn't short out anything in the scanner.

But, DO NOT PLUG EARBUDS into the Ext. Sp. jack. It provides enough power to blow the earbud out (through your eardrum if you are wearing it at the time).

Way too descriptive, I have an earache now :D

fenderblue

Now, I am confused. Dafeler---is that 3.5 plug a mono or a stereo that you buy @ e-bay and it works fine. I need all the amplification I can get to hear with one ear plugged in and another to hear other noise. Hate heavy earphones w/one cocked on the side of the head. Got the drift. Confused on will really work. Been using a Radio Shack 30 channel analog and it is a hearable radio but want something that will be bulky in 2 respects.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Now, I am confused. Dafeler---is that 3.5 plug a mono or a stereo that you buy @ e-bay and it works fine. I need all the amplification I can get to hear with one ear plugged in and another to hear other noise. Hate heavy earphones w/one cocked on the side of the head. Got the drift. Confused on will really work. Been using a Radio Shack 30 channel analog and it is a hearable radio but want something that will be bulky in 2 respects.

truthfully I do not remember. I went through my ebay history but I guess I had bought these a while ago. I do use it nightly in bed and have to turn the scanner about halfway up to hear it while the wife watches TV but, after the TV goes off I turn it down and fall asleep listening to the scanner.

I found the HP has horrible audio through the headphone jack for everything BUT a powered speaker. Even using a powered speaker I turn it more than halfway up and adjust the level off the speaker. Problem from day one.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Mono or stereo

Look at the jack. If it has two sections where it plugs in, it is mono. If there are three, it is stereo. If it has four, then it probably has an inline microphone too.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
A mono plug will short one of the audio paths to ground, which will result in reduced/distorted audio and, over time, could harm the audio driver IC.

Dafe1er

Thank you.

I guess I will get a new one shortly. I never thought of it harming the unit. I did know the reduction in audio would happen as I have used stereo headphones without issues before.

Could one say if found out in the WWW. using a non powered speaker with a stereo plug on it will work almost the same as a powered speaker? I'm thinking not right? Still need the power to get the audio at a listening level?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Trying to parse that last paragraph, but if I understand it correctly, the answer is you must use an amplified speaker if you are plugging into a headphone jack.

Dafe1er

I did say that in a confusing manner sorry.

I was wondering if I were to find a external speaker on the web that had a stereo connector end on it, if I would be able to use it and hear audio almost as loud as a powered speaker. But, I take from you that is not going to work. I only use a powered speaker as is and was just hoping to use one of my many other non-powered speakers sitting collecting dust...lol

Thank you once again UPman.

Status
Not open for further replies.