396XT Extremely Slow Scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunyon

Silent Key
Bear with me as I'm a fairly new owner of BC396XT. I have it programmed with a mix of conventional and trunked systems. My issue is that it takes forever to scan through the programmed channels/systems.

Specifically I have a Federal system set up which contains about 200 freqs. Actually 100 or so are in a group that is locked out so it should only be scanning about 100 of them.

If you watch the display on the scanner you'll see it zip through the other conventional and trunked systems very rapidly, but then it sits on this federal system for probably 20-30 seconds before moving on to the next system.

I program the radio with FreeScan and would be happy to email my current file to anyone willing to take a look at how it's programmed. I'd appreciate any useful advice on how I can speed up the scanning of the Federal group.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Gilligan

Database Admin
Sounds like it's possibly open-squelch on those channels. Double check the squelch settings and make sure its not open. If you have PL/DPL tones programmed in and the squelch is open, it will pause on every channel.

Also check the system scan time to make sure that particular system isn't set for a long scan time (system settings).

drunyon

Silent Key
Thanks for the responses (both public and private). I believe I have found the main culprit...several duplicate freqs and a fair amount of interference/intermod in the fed bands.

I sorted through and deleted most duplicates and things have gotten MUCH faster!

Thanks again for the help.

Highpockets

Thanks for the responses (both public and private). I believe I have found the main culprit...several duplicate freqs and a fair amount of interference/intermod in the fed bands.

I sorted through and deleted most duplicates and things have gotten MUCH faster!

Thanks again for the help.

As long as you have that file saved, why not under the tools tab try the "Automatic Scanner Optimizer" and see if that helps, you always have the saved file to go back to if you don't like the results.

Sorry, that's if your using FreeScan to program your scanner, I didn't take notice how your programming!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.