396xt "finding control channel"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigk_54

Hoping the great knowledge here can help me out! I re programmed a buddies scanner using ARC XT software like I have 5 other times! This last time he calls me up and says, I'm getting no police! So I figured he hit a wrong button. Well I grab the scanner and manually go to the P25 tower that comes in great in our area and scroll to our dispatch, the scanner flashes the tower and county then dispatch and then flashes "Finding CtrlChan". So I assume that the correct tower frequency wasn't programmed and I verified against my 996T and double check on the data base here and it is the same. Am I missing something?! Did I do something wrong!?

Thanks in advance!

JamesO

Hoping the great knowledge here can help me out! I re programmed a buddies scanner using ARC XT software like I have 5 other times! This last time he calls me up and says, I'm getting no police! So I figured he hit a wrong button. Well I grab the scanner and manually go to the P25 tower that comes in great in our area and scroll to our dispatch, the scanner flashes the tower and county then dispatch and then flashes "Finding CtrlChan". So I assume that the correct tower frequency wasn't programmed and I verified against my 996T and double check on the data base here and it is the same. Am I missing something?! Did I do something wrong!?

Thanks in advance!

Fining Control Channel means the scanner cannot lock onto the control channel that is programmed.

There are a number of issues:

1. Might be a programming error
2. Might be an Attenuator issue
3. Might be a Bandwidth selection issue, FM vs NFM
4. Might be an antenna issue, swap your antenna if you have a hand held
5. Might be a multipath/simulcast issue
6. Might be a firmware issue
7. Might be an internal antenna connection issue

Try the NOAA sites and see how it works int he 396XT as compared to your scanners.

More info on the location, site and department might be helpful to understand what is happening.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

Thanks in advance!

Did you confirm if it receives anything at all (like NWS)? The antenna connector inside the radio could the broken if it doesn't.

bigk_54

WELL...... in the process of wanting to throw it all on the floor, I noticed one oversight. All my P25 folders were set as "Motorola" in the system type field, changed them to P25 Standard and guess what, works like it did before!

Thanks for all helping me, I've been chasing this for 2 hours now and was at my end so decided to come here and I guess that settled me down to look at the details :D

Status
Not open for further replies.