396xt Fire Tone Out--How to get the tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

james812

I have read through 6 pages of the 396xt/uniden forum with no luck....

I want the 396xt to find the tones for my local fire dept (conventional) I have followed the wiki and uniden sites advice with no available help.

Can someone please help me? My local fire dept will not give me the tones, or they don't know or don't understand what I am asking for....

Currently I am on the freq in Fire tone out standby, and I have entered a postive value like the wiki said, but nothing shows up. I am using a second scanner to hear the tones, but the 396xt is not picking them up...

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:

james812

I did search and found those pages...but still no luck

I have it set to tone out standby, with tone a 0, and tone b 0, no luck getting it to open on 155.235...???

This is the local ems dispatch channel...

I try to read first before posting...

Thanks

J.R.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Those are the instructions. Set both tones to 0 and the scanner will determine the received tones (as long as they are single- or two-tone sequential pages and not DTMF or some other signaling).

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Make sure the attenuator isn't on. If you use Freescan there was a bug in earlier versions that caused it to always be turned on in tone-out mode. I believe the latest version fixed this.

james812

Still no luck

I know people who don't read first before posting are annoying.... I have read everything...

I now have the scanner on, in tone out standby, the squelch set to zero, The A tone is set to 0, the B tone is set to 0, Still nothing appears when the paging tone is dispatched...can anyone else provide some input?

Please help,

Thanks for your time....

kilowa22

I know people who don't read first before posting are annoying.... I have read everything...

I now have the scanner on, in tone out standby, the squelch set to zero, The A tone is set to 0, the B tone is set to 0, Still nothing appears when the paging tone is dispatched...can anyone else provide some input?

Please help,

Thanks for your time....

In Tone-Out Mode Press the Hold Button to change it to Search.

james812

Fire tone out

I know the frequency is right....I can see the bars light up across the top that the scanner see's there is a signal, it just won't open the squelch or display the numbers...

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I know the frequency is right....I can see the bars light up across the top that the scanner see's there is a signal, it just won't open the squelch or display the numbers...

That means you aren't getting a standard tone set.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You might try recording at tone out and posting the recording. Maybe someone can help you ID them.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
You may want to post in the Indiana forum. In the collaboration page someone has posted the unit numbers, so they may also know what the fire tone out codes are. Or at least get you the information you need. I also checked your county for a Live feed. I only found DNR south regon from SAFE-T, so no help there.

This is what I found for the unit numbers:
Dubois County (IN) - The RadioReference Wiki

The only other suggestion would be to record it with a sound card and post it for some of the folks here to check out.

Status
Not open for further replies.