396xt Fire Tone Out question

Status
Not open for further replies.

redandblue

Hello everyone I am considering the new 396xt and I was wondering if with the Fire Tone Out feature can you monitor two different frequencies at the same time. I know with the old 396t i could only monitor one frequency or the other. Such as it was only on 154.2050 or 154.1600.

scannersnstuff

still relegated to only 1 frequency at a time. for various technical reason's. the newer generation 396xt,346xt,15xt and 996xt do tone out frequency find however. a big advantage !.

JASII

Memory Capacity
396XT Fire Tone Out

No, you cannot do that. Although I never had a 396T, I think they are similar in that the memory allows for 10 different frequencies/tone pairs to be stored. The 396XT added the Fire Tone Out Search functionality. When in Tone-Out Standby it will simultaneously decode up to 10 sets of tones, if they are one the same frequency. If you have say 154.190 programmed with 5 sets of tones and 154.445 programmed with 5 sets of tones, if you select Fire Tone Out Standby and select 154.445, it will decode any of the 5 sets of tones programmed for 154.445. There has even been discussion in other forums regarding Motorola Minitors that scan having the ability to Tone Out on dual frequencies, but inherent problem is when it switched from one frequency to another it might miss the tone being sent, so it probably would end up being hot or miss. Unfortunately, that pretty much means that it requires a dedicated receiver for each frequency that you want to monitor.

hfxChris

Database Admin
...but inherent problem is when it switched from one frequency to another it might miss the tone being sent...
Which I always thought was a silly answer anyway. I mean, how long does it take the receiver to scan two frequencies looking for an open carrier. Fractions of a second.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It has to listen long enough to see if the tone matches one you want, which takes up to 1/2sec or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.