396XT / FreeScan Breaking up large P25 system into agencies. TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubs0980

Premium Subscriber
Hey Guys,

I'm a noob to scanning but the bug has bitten hard. I think I understand the basics but I spent hours trying to break down my scan files to show the different agencies in my county. It's the Hoosier Safe-t system and the county is St. Joseph. My end goal is to say scan only Notre Dame PD or the SJ Sheriff, or the State police that is running on the Safe-T system. Hopefully being able to turn them on and off with the quick keys. Perhaps even break it down further by Fire/ems vs police. I've tried playing with different group keys, or creating new systems but I still get the whole county when I turn on the quick key that I thought just had the specific talk group ID's I wanted.. Any idea if this is even possible? Thanks for the help. This site has proven to be a great resource. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute some frequencies when I get the lay of the land. Hopefully this thread is in the right place. I've also attached a screen shot and the FreeScan file in case that helps. Sorry for the noobness.

Attachments

• basicscan.996.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 23
  • basicscan.jpg
    basicscan.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 653

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Looks like none of your channel groups has quick keys assigned. I see the sites have system/site quick keys assigned (2 and 4). When you enable either of those sites, it is going to watch for any channel in any of the channel groups, the way it appears to be configured.

dubs0980

Premium Subscriber
If I did assign the groups quick keys wouldn't I only be able to quick key the entire "StJosephCnty(71)" which would include all of channels that are listed on the screen? Or am I missing a way to quick key the individual channels that are listed to the right.

Something I just found is the ID scan VS. ID search. Would I be able to create new systems (by copying "StJosephCnty(71)", (renaming it and quick keying it) and then deleting all the TGID's I don't want to hear and make sure it's on ID Scan? I feel like I'm missing a very basic piece (or many pieces) of logic that is throwing me off.

All I want to do is control which channels in the selected "StJosephCnty(71)" are scanned by quick keys. Thanks for the reply!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That is correct. In order to do what you want, you need to make channel groups with only those channels you want scanned.

dubs0980

Premium Subscriber
Great I think I have it sorted. The scan vs search was the thing I was missing. Thanks for the help. I need to RTFM a little closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.