396xt freescan- delete channels??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderblue

I have reloaded with freescan several times to get the formats that I want. I am getting pretty good at too. I keep wanting to delete or change from what I have saved. Can a person delete a channel or group etc. by going to your saved file some how or what buttons on the scanner to delete. I know you can lock a channel but it is only temporary.

SCPD

QRT
If you quickly press lockout twice it will lock it out for good, or you can access it through Menu then program System and scroll to the System and from there you can delete just one Frequency or an entire System..
Or you can do it in FreeScann and then upload it to the Scanner.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have reloaded with freescan several times to get the formats that I want. I am getting pretty good at too. I keep wanting to delete or change from what I have saved. Can a person delete a channel or group etc. by going to your saved file some how or what buttons on the scanner to delete. I know you can lock a channel but it is only temporary.

On the scanner you can delete channels/groups on the scanner through MENU>PROGRAM SYSTEM>SYSTEM>EDIT GROUP>GROUP>DELETE GROUP or EDIT CHANNEL >CHANNEL>DELETE CHANNEL.

While in "CHANNEL" go to LOCKOUT> and you can select Unlocked, Temporary L/O, or Lockout, in addition to the procedure posted above.

In Temporary L/O the channel we be unlocked after a power up. In Lockout it will remain locked out until you unlock it.

In FreeScan after you have made changes to your system, on the upload screen select "Replace any existing system by the same name, add remaining" and it will overwrite that system in the scanner and automatically make those changes for you. Make sure you only check the system you want to upload.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm doing this somewhat from memory as my desktop died just recently, but it's rather easy to delete stuff in Freescan

To drop a system, site or an entire group, go to the left where the tree of all your systems is shown; highlight the item you want to drop, then right click. You should get a menu, one selection of which is DELETE. Be careful when you do this, however - this could mess up your QK assignments. You will undoubtedly have to rework them at some point

To drop a channel (or talkgroup) within a group, simply highlight the desired entry and hit the red X.

And as RMH correctly points out, use the REPLACE option when reloading.

Really, not that hard...Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Are you meaning that you want to delete a system, group, or channel (conventional frequency or talkgroup ID) from your existing FreeSCAN file?

(I see Mike has given you one way to do this, this is slightly different, but the same caution applies. Be careful that you have the system you want to delete highlighted. Otherwise, FreeSCAN tends to default back to the first one listed and delete it.)

If that is what you're wanting, click to highlight the item (system or group) you want to remove. Then, hold down the shift key & press 'delete' on your keyboard. For channels within a group (conventional frequencies or talkgroup ID's), you can simply highlight the ones you want and use the red X to delete them, or use the <Shift><Delete> shortcut. Hold down the <CTRL> key to click and select several at a time, or hold down the <Shift> key to select a continuous group by clicking on the first and last ones you want to select.

The multiple channel select also comes in handy if you want to change a specific setting on all of them to the same value. For example: You have ten fire related channels in the same group. You want to reset the alert color (that's the display, which FreeSCAN abbreviates as Alt Color) so that the display is red for all of them. Using the mouse, and either the <Ctrl> or <Shift> key (depending on whether they are consecutive channels), select all ten. Now, hold down on the <CTRL> key to keep them all selected, then, using your mouse, change the color for one of the channels. Clickiing the same field for one of the others, as long as you maintained holding the <Ctrl> key so that all channels stayed selected, will flip all of them to the same value.

fenderblue

Oh Boy you guys are giving some good things to understand the operation. Now I have 4 counties logged in my scanner. I want to travel to a different this weekend which I don't have entered yet but I will before I go. After I am done with that county, can I save it for another time or will I have to delete?

SCPD

QRT
Oh Boy you guys are giving some good things to understand the operation. Now I have 4 counties logged in my scanner. I want to travel to a different this weekend which I don't have entered yet but I will before I go. After I am done with that county, can I save it for another time or will I have to delete?

Upload your Scanner File first to the Computer if you have new close Call Stuff or manually added files to the Scanner.
Just go to File and click "Save as" and you can give it a new Name and it will save it without messing with your current setup
or click on Save and it will modify your current File.
Either way you can come back later and work on your File.
You may also check out this Site to better understand your Scanner.
Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Make sure that you name your file something that makes it immediately recognizable to you. For example I have files for when I travel to NJ, the SWL Winterfest and several for areas in Maryland where I used to work. If I didn't name these with something meaningful, I'd have a heckuva time remembering which file was for what without looking at what I had defined.

You could even put a version number in there in case you are refining your definitions (useful for backtracking if you completely mess something up)

Mike

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I am going to move this to the Scanner Software forum.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.