396xt GPS issue and Update Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Seems I am having trouble getting GPS feature to work. I have all my groups (systems to GPS enabled.) I am also using the Serial cable supplied with my Garmin with a Null modem with the Serial GPS cable that I bought with the 395xt. So what else must I do.

Please note the 396xt reads no GPS input. Oh I am also using an Garmin Extrex Legend with the NEMA output of 4800 and the scanner is also set for 4800 bps

I also noticed on the FREESCAN software that the GPS in the Software is marked 15/996xt

So I need HELP please.

Also direct me to the page for the updates for the 396xt.
Thanks

Last edited:

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
If you see No GPS Input then the scanner is not sensing the GPS. Try checking that the Baud Rate on the GPS output and the scanner input are matching. Many GPS units only put out 4800 or 9600 Baud but the scanner default is likely higher.

W6KRU

I just checked the GPS is set to those requirements,but I will recheck them anyway.

My Garmin has two choices for output PC and NMEA. If yours is set for NMEA and the 396 is set for 4800 baud, then you have a cable problem.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
They are the same. The scanner only has one serial port. It is used for GPS and PC communication.

Did you go into the main Menu-Settings-Serial port-baud rate? Be sure the Baud rate is set 4800 for the scanner.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
its I did not need the null modem, Oh well I think I keep the null modem adapter and the gender change for maybe a future need.

ok now can someone point me in the right direction for the lastest firmware update for the 396xt .

thanks for all the help.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Ok UPMAN, went your site got the two zip files and download and opened to my desktop. When I run the updater with the *.scn file that you told me to use. I get the following error.

This scanner is not and object for BCD396XT. Rewriting is impossible.
Please remove cable and turn the power.

I have tried several times and still have the same problem

Any help would be appreciated a lot. thanks for your time

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Usually due to incorrect COM port setting, but could also happen if you have a BCD396T (not the XT).

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I have reset the baud back to where it was when I programmed the scanner and I checked again I do have an 396XT.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Thanks for all the help. It seems like it was operator error, all this time sorry for the confusion. So please be patience with me as I learn this new scanner. I will be still this forum. Yea it works now. Now for rest of the goodies of this radio to learn.

Again thanks for all that help.

frazpo

I have a 396 Xt using Freescan. According to the software am I only able to set GPS settings for "Groups" and not the "System" ? The GPS section on the system settings states (15/996t only)
Anyone familiar with this setting?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.