396XT No Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Following a lightening storm with a very close to home strike, my 396XT now has no audio. The scanner was running during the storm but was not connected to an external antenna. It was connected to an AC outlet with the original power supply. The scanner now powers up and scans stopping on conventional frequencies and trunked talk groups. I can hear popping sounds on the internal speaker and via the headphone jack, but no audio.

My question: Is it worth sending this scanner to Uniden for repair? They want $49.95 plus $10 return shipping just to look at it.. Is there a chance it is repairable?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Do you have the "key beep" on when you press buttons? What happens when you press a button?

Can you try a weather scan just to see what happens? Alternatively, just for the heck of it, you could try re-writing your programming files.

Also, before I sent my off for repair, I'd also try a full reset.

These things are shots in the dark, but nothing ventured - nothing gained and they are easy enough to attempt.

The 396XTs are great scanners so sending off for repair is a viable option. I understand that for the worst case scenario, Uniden might offer a good deal on a replacement scanner.

It may also be worth contacting your homeowner's insurance carrier to see if a claim could be made.

KD4UXQ

Uniden Repair is very resonable

Apparently the $49.95 covers any repair. Well worth that. I sent mine in and it came back fine and within 2 weeks. I had accidentally plugged mine into the wrong wall wart that had the same connector, but wrong voltage at 12VDC. I have read of some not as good experiences here, but I would use them again.

Unfortunately homeowners coverage will be subject to your deductible.

XTS3000

Really sounds like the AF amp is blown. The $49.99 for Uniden to repair this type of major problem is more than reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.