396xt or wait for new BCD436HP??

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if NC is going to have any Phase 2 radios?

I am getting ready to buy, and I want to buy right.

Obviously the new one covers more, but is it needed for NC?

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
My thought was.. and it might be a dumb one.. I am just learning...

But my thought was that with NC installing viper.. that they have too much invested in phase 1 to do any phase 2 any time soon.

troymail

Silent Key
If the 396 and 496 are/were the same price (or price doesn't matter), there's no question -- I'd wait a few more weeks for the 436.

The 436 should almost certainly be easier to program... if that's a factor.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Do keep in mind that the Pitt County Radio System is the only Phase 2 TDMA system (that I am aware of) in NC.

I can report that both the BCD436HP and BCD536HP have been extensively
tested in NC (and parts of SC for that matter).

I would wait a few weeks for either the BCD436HP or BCD536HP.

Marshall KE4ZNR

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
Do keep in mind that the Pitt County Radio System is the only Phase 2 TDMA system (that I am aware of) in NC.

I can report that both the BCD436HP and BCD536HP have been extensively
tested in NC (and parts of SC for that matter).

I would wait a few weeks for either the BCD436HP or BCD536HP.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Thank you for the advice!!

mhodgson

Edward, I would refrain on making any assumptions about what VIPER is or isnt going to do regarding Phase 2 TDMA.

What I can tell you is that as of today, the VIPER system utilizes Quantar's for its base station backbone. This station is extremely rugged and well proven and afforded NC with an excellent transition opportunity to Phase 1 (FDMA) P25 at a very minimal cost since rather than unbolting everything, all that has been needed to make the stations be P25/P1 compliant is changing the control cards to operate on P25/P1. With that said, there are several noted shortcomings of the Quantar that need to be factored in, A) it is an 800 MHz only platform, meaning that in the event that the state (or any licensee in a similar situation) desires to use 700 MHz spectrum (had to be P25 to do that) then the Quantar doesnt provide that luxury, B) the Quantar is no longer orderable from Motorola so the ability to expand the number of operational stations at a particular site is limited and therefore moving forward with GTR8000 platform stations is required at least initially (see below), C) The Quantar will not do Phase 2 TDMA, D) One cannot mix and match Quantar and GTR stations as part of the same site and E) where one desires to utilize features available in releases 7.13 and newer (ISSI 8000 for example), Quantar stations dont support those features....

With all that said, NC has already begun to purchase GTR based station packages, ready to install when we migrate to P25. These packages WILL support Phase 2 TDMA at certain locations. The definition of "certain locations" will be determined by alot of factors, namely A) a need for additional voice channel capacity vs available spectrum and B) funding to justify a retrofit of the equipment. VIPER has within its annual recurring maintenance budget, funding identified for an organized changeout of Quantars, however one also has to balance the fact that once we begin to migrate sites to GTR based stations, we will have an abundance of perfectly serviceable Quantar's that can now be used to augment sites that may need additional channels but are NOT in immediate need of P25/P2 capabilites. One must also remember that many of the legacy SZ/OL radios will NOT do P25/P2 although they are all equipped to do P25/P1.

I personally believe that you will see VIPER begin to phase in P25 Phase 2 TDMA operations in high traffic areas within 12 months, 18 on the outside so if you are using this as a gauge as what to buy or when, I would think sooner rather than later....

M

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
mhodgson and KE4ZNR.... you did it.

I ordered a BCD436HP today. Now I have to wait. I think it will be worth it!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
mhodgson and KE4ZNR.... you did it.

I ordered a BCD436HP today. Now I have to wait. I think it will be worth it!

Sir, I cannot be held responsible for any debts you may owe as a result of buying
scanners :lol::cool:

I don't think you will be disappointed.

1469916_10151811304981235_1686070450_n.jpg

Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
Sir, I cannot be held responsible for any debts you may owe as a result of buying
scanners :lol::cool:

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Ha! We'll see....

Do you mind me asking what antenna you are using on the handheld?

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
We know who has money now.

Marshall the City of Durham must be paying well in the radio shop.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.